Why Does MCNP5 Behave Differently Across Operating Systems?

In summary, the individual had installed MCNP5 on rocks cluster with mpich2-1.4.1p and encountered an issue where the program was stuck in a loop during simulations. They then tried running the simulations on Windows with mpich-1.2.4 and did not experience the same issue. They are seeking guidance on why MCNP5 behaves differently on different operating systems. However, the individual later discovered that the problem was caused by the way MCNP divides the problem for parallel solution and after letting it run for some time, the issue was resolved.
junaidarshad
I recently installed MCNP5 on rocks cluster running centOS 6.5, with mpich2-1.4.1p.
While running simulations, MNCP5 is stuck in loop in 2 of the simulations.

When I tried to perform one of the stuck simulations on windows with mpich-1.2.4, it didn't stuck. Can anyone guide me why MNCP5 is behaving differently on different operating systems.

Regards,

junaidarshad said:
I recently installed MCNP5 on rocks cluster running centOS 6.5, with mpich2-1.4.1p.
While running simulations, MNCP5 is stuck in loop in 2 of the simulations.

When I tried to perform one of the stuck simulations on windows with mpich-1.2.4, it didn't stuck. Can anyone guide me why MNCP5 is behaving differently on different operating systems.

Regards,
I got the error too, mcnp5 stucked at 2 of simulations loop.
Did you solved it ?

wangm23456 said:
I got the error too, mcnp5 stucked at 2 of simulations loop.
Did you solved it ?

There was nothing to solve. The problem was because of the way MCNP divides the problem for parallel solution. Only one of the Processes was stuck, while rest of the processes had done their job. I let it run and after some time it solved the problem.

junaidarshad said:
There was nothing to solve. The problem was because of the way MCNP divides the problem for parallel solution. Only one of the Processes was stuck, while rest of the processes had done their job. I let it run and after some time it solved the problem.
I let it run but it can't return normal after a very long time.

Related to Why Does MCNP5 Behave Differently Across Operating Systems?

1. What is MCNP5?

MCNP5 (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through matter. It is primarily used in the field of nuclear engineering and radiation physics.

2. What does it mean when MCNP5 gets stuck in loops?

When MCNP5 gets stuck in loops, it means that the code is unable to terminate a particular calculation and continues to repeat the same steps over and over again. This can happen due to various reasons such as improper input or errors in the code.

3. How can I fix MCNP5 when it gets stuck in loops?

There are several steps you can take to fix MCNP5 when it gets stuck in loops. This includes checking your input files for errors, increasing the number of iterations or time steps, or adjusting the code parameters. You can also consult the user manual or seek help from experienced users.

4. What are some common causes of MCNP5 getting stuck in loops?

Some common causes of MCNP5 getting stuck in loops include incorrect input parameters, problems with the geometry of the simulation, or errors in the code itself. It can also happen if the simulation is too complex or if the code is not properly optimized for the specific problem being simulated.

5. How can I prevent MCNP5 from getting stuck in loops?

To prevent MCNP5 from getting stuck in loops, it is important to carefully review and validate your input files, ensure that the code parameters are appropriate for your simulation, and regularly check for any errors or issues. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the code and its capabilities. Additionally, keeping the code up to date with the latest versions and bug fixes can also prevent it from getting stuck in loops.