Why does phosphodiester bond have diester as part of it's name?

• Thread starter gauss44
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why does "phosphodiester bond" have "diester" as part of it's name?

Why does "phosphodiester bond" have "diester" as part of it's name?

I don't see two esters. I must be overlooking something. Maybe it's because the two riboses can dissociate into ester form? Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Probably because it contains two C-O-P bonds (a normal ester is a C-O-C bond [where one of the carbons is a carbonyl], so a singel phosphoester would be a C-O-P bond [in which the phosphorus atom is a phosphate]).

Probably because it contains two C-O-P bonds (a normal ester is a C-O-C bond [where one of the carbons is a carbonyl], so a singel phosphoester would be a C-O-P bond [in which the phosphorus atom is a phosphate]).
I thought that was an ether.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphodiester_bond

A phosphodiester bond is a group of strong covalent bonds between a phosphate group and two 5-carbon ring carbohydrates (pentoses) over two ester bonds.
I'm still not seeing it. I see riboses and phosphate groups.

Borek
Mentor
To quopte wikipedia:

Ester is a general term for the product derived from the condensation of an acid and an alcohol. Thus, the nomenclature extends to inorganic oxo acids, e.g. phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid, nitric acid and boric acid.
(bolding mine)