Why Does Prince Charles Have a Green Onion on His Chest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lisab
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a Brit, but http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com/archive/tsv10/celery.html" maybe? (Just kidding.)
⚛​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Why does he have long hair? Hes in the army, he should have a buzz cut.
 
No joke. Prince Charles has a green onion strapped down to his lapel. (We need a :blankface: emoticon for just such occasions.)
 
lisab said:
Could someone please tell me why Prince Charles has a green onion pinned to his chest (at about 0:40 into the video)?

To symbolize the press leek that caused the homecoming. :biggrin:

Actually, because it is (was) the day of my father's patron Saint.
 
George Jones said:
To symbolize the press leek that caused the homecoming. :biggrin:
\
:rolleyes::smile::smile:
 
George Jones said:
Actually, because it is (was) the day of my father's patron Saint.
Which Saint is that?
 
There's a Saint David? When I went to Confirmation, my priest told me there was no Saint David. =/
 
George Jones said:
David.

Ah - I get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_David

"Saint David (c. 500–589) (known in Welsh as Dewi Sant) was a church official, later regarded as a saint and as the patron saint of Wales...

...He lived a simple life and practiced asceticism, teaching his followers to refrain from eating meat or drinking beer. His symbol, also the symbol of Wales, is the leek."

And as we all know, Prince Charles is the Prince of Wales. Dots connected!

Well, I tell you what, British leeks look an awful lot like American green onions, that's for sure.

(Life without meat or beer...?)
 
lisab said:
(Life without meat or beer...?)

I know. How terribly un-British.