I am so glad I found this thread- the same question has been bothering me as well. Could someone please tell me what's wrong with this "derivation" of Axiom of choice?
Let {X
i} be a non-empty family of non-empty sets. Since for all i, X
i is non-empty, for all i, there exist x
i such that x
i is in X
i. So define using axiom of specification
[tex]
f = \{ (i,x) \in I \times \bigcup_{i}X_{i} | x=x_{i} \}[/tex]
Now for all i, [tex](i,x_{i}) \in f[/tex] so that [tex]domf = I[/tex]. Also, if [tex](i,x) \in f and (i,y) \in f \Rightarrow x=y=x_{i}[/tex], so that
f is a function.
The only possible problem I can see is that I am assuming the existence of arbitrarily many x
i's(but NOT that x is a function or even that the x
i's form a set) . Is it that you can assume the existence of only object at a time, or if you are assuming more than one, the individual statements MUST be sepeated by "and" ( as in for some a(a belons to X) and for some b(b belongs to X))?
PS: Sorry for the bad formatting. I am a novice in LaTeX