Why does the duration of an egg yolk spin depend on its viscosity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DANIneplanets
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Egg Viscosity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
DANIneplanets
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello, we were given a project in class to determine the viscosity of the egg yolk without breaking it. That is the exact question given to us. I researched and the only thing I found is that I should spin the egg to determine the viscosity. I have a tray of eggs and I just spun it and timed how long it spins. What else should i do? Thank you so much
 
Physics news on Phys.org
determine the viscosity of the egg yolk without breaking it
Without breaking the egg's shell? Or, without scrambling the separated yolk? Which?

What techniques are others in the class proposing?
 
The difficulty I see is distinguishing between viscosity of the yolk and that of the white. Perhaps you could parboil it, but it would be hard to know whether you've judged it correctly.
Leaving that aside, provide some reason why the duration of the spin will depend on the viscosity.