Tavi and Eye_in_the_Sky.
Your posts have completely answered my original question. But, as I say earlier, I have my suspicion that this mathematical scheme may represent a convention and not a unique way of doing the math.
To be more explicit: In the scheme described by you, the kets corresponding to eigenvectors of a continuous variable's operator carry with them units that are the units of the variable to the -1/2. I understand that these kets are special as they represent "limits" or things not properly within the Hilbert space. Still, handling the units like this seems a bit artificial.
It may seem too audacious of me to venture opinions about these things while I am still learning and have not read everything about it. But anyway I'll say it, as you, having more knowledge about it may even mention some thinking along the same lines by other people.
I am somewhat aware that Von Newman had objections about the Dirac delta function, but I don't know the details behind his argument.
On the other hand, it appears kind of obvious that many of the infinities we get in quantum mechanics are the result of considering certain variables as continuous when they are actually discrete.
I don't know much about quantum loop gravity and superstring theory, but I think I remember reading that they address this problem.
Going back to QM. if we were to consider all variables as discrete, then the scheme you mentioned would have to be changed as it implies treating differently continuous varables from discrete ones. For instance, the spin up and spin down unit vectors, as far as I know don't carry any units, while the position eigenvectors do.
It seems to me, and here is where I may be venturing too far with my little knowledge, that a more natural way to do the math would be (taking the position eigenvectors as example) to keep them dimensionless and to add a denominator with the square root of the space units to the dx in the integration. This way, we would be doing the integration over a dimensionless domain, which would be consistent with the way we do summation for discrete variables. This scheme would also make it easier to transition to a treatment where all variables are discrete.
It seems to me that in quantum mechanics we are dealing with two big domains or languages: one being the Hilbert space, in which all the classical variables disappear and are transformed into mere lables for unit vectors, and the other domain is that of classical variables which we multiply, divide etc. and keep track of the units by dimensional analysis. The operators corresponding to measurables would allow us to "extract" the classical variable with it's units from the state vector living in Hilbert space.
If we look at it this way, when we are in Hilbert space, the numbers we manipulate should not have any units, they should only be related to the square root of a probability and a phase factor. And perhaps it should not matter wether the Hilbert space is rigged or not. Then when we "translate" to our usual "domain" or "language" of classical variables, then the units are reconstructed from the lables.
I'll appreciate your opinions about this.