Why does the kinetic operator depend on a second derivative?

In summary, the formula T = -(ħ/2m)∇2 implies that T is proportional to the second spatial derivative of a wavefunction. This dependence is due to the wavefunction being symmetric about the origin, and thesecond spatial derivative is proportional to the momentum of the wave.
Steven Hanna
The formula T = -(ħ/2m)∇2 implies that T is proportional to the second spatial derivative of a wavefunction. What is the origin of this dependence?

In classical mechanics, T = p2/2m. Is it also the case in classical mechanics that p2/2m is proportional to a second spatial derivative? I have not been able to relate (d/dt)2 to d2/dx2 using classical mechanics.
Thanks,
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Steven Hanna said:
The formula T = -(ħ/2m)∇2 implies that T is proportional to the second spatial derivative of a wavefunction. What is the origin of this dependence?

check the expression for T -i think it should be hbar^2 may be a typo.
as we know the kinetic energy operator in coordinate representation is the above expression as differential operator.
it can be derived from the operator form of momentum

P(operator) = -ihbar. Del or in one dimension -ihbar. d/dx
as T= P^2/2m the operator form will be -hbar^2 /2m . d^2/dx^2

drvrm said:
as we know the kinetic energy operator in coordinate representation is the above expression as differential operator.

Thanks! Let me make sure I understand your explanation: squaring the p(operator) gives (-ihbar∇)^2 = -hbar^2*(∇∙∇), and ∇∙∇ = ∇^2 because the dot product of a vector with itself is equal to the magnitude of that vector squared. Therefore, T = p^2/2m = (-hbar^2/2m)∇^2. The kinetic energy of a classical wave would also be proportional to ∇^2, because the momentum of a classical wave is proportional to ∇.

Steven Hanna said:
Thanks! Let me make sure I understand your explanation: squaring the p(operator) gives (-ihbar∇)^2 = -hbar^2*(∇∙∇), and ∇∙∇ = ∇^2 because the dot product of a vector with itself is equal to the magnitude of that vector squared. Therefore, T = p^2/2m = (-hbar^2/2m)∇^2.
Yes.
Steven Hanna said:
The kinetic energy of a classical wave would also be proportional to ∇^2, because the momentum of a classical wave is proportional to ∇.
No, the macroscopic, nonrelativistic kinetic energy is always given by ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##.

Steven Hanna said:

Strange but true, and one of the deepest discoveries of modern physics, the answer is symmetry. You will find the detail in chapter 3 of Ballemtine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814578584/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It involves advance math but is still worth taking a look at.

Thanks
Bill

drvrm said:

You're getting close to 500 posts now. Time to learn some Latex!

1. Why is the kinetic operator important in physics?

The kinetic operator is important in physics because it represents the amount of energy a particle has due to its motion. It allows us to calculate the velocity and momentum of a particle, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

2. What does the second derivative in the kinetic operator represent?

The second derivative in the kinetic operator represents the acceleration of a particle. This is because the second derivative is the rate of change of the first derivative, which is equivalent to the rate of change of velocity. Therefore, the second derivative represents how quickly the velocity of a particle is changing with respect to time.

3. How does the kinetic operator relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. The kinetic operator is one of the terms in this equation and it represents the kinetic energy of the particle. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a given time.

4. Why is the kinetic operator represented by a second derivative instead of a first derivative?

The kinetic operator is represented by a second derivative because it takes into account the change in velocity over time. The first derivative only gives us the instantaneous velocity at a particular time, but the second derivative gives us the rate of change of velocity, which is essential in understanding the motion of a particle.

5. Can the kinetic operator be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, the kinetic operator can be applied to all types of particles, including both classical and quantum particles. However, in quantum mechanics, the kinetic operator is often represented by the Laplace operator, which is a second derivative in three-dimensional space. This operator is used to describe the motion of particles at the microscopic level.