Why Does the Particle Not Move in the +x Direction at t = 0.13351 Seconds?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
inversesine
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The position of a particle is given in cm by x = 6*cos(3πt), where t is in seconds.

What is the first time that the particle is at x = 0 and moving in the +x direction?



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I set x=0, and divided 0 by 6, resulting in 0. From there, I took the inverse cosine of each side, leaving me with the equation (π/2)=3πt. Then I divided (π/2) by 3π, and was left with a t value of .13351 seconds. The problem is that when I submit that answer, it is incorrect.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
inversesine said:

Homework Statement



The position of a particle is given in cm by x = 6*cos(3πt), where t is in seconds.

What is the first time that the particle is at x = 0 and moving in the +x direction?



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I set x=0, and divided 0 by 6, resulting in 0. From there, I took the inverse cosine of each side, leaving me with the equation (π/2)=3πt. Then I divided (π/2) by 3π, and was left with a t value of .13351 seconds. The problem is that when I submit that answer, it is incorrect.

You ignored that the particle moves in the +x direction: the velocity is positive.

How do you get the velocity of the particle at time t?

ehild