Why does the sun appear closer at the beach horizon than from a balcony?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter avito009
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Horizon Sun
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
avito009
Messages
184
Reaction score
4
When I observe the sunset from my balcony, the sun appears far away near the horizon. But when I watch sunset at a beach the sun appears closer to me at the horizon. Why so?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
avito009 said:
When I observe the sunset from my balcony, the sun appears far away near the horizon. But when I watch sunset at a beach the sun appears closer to me at the horizon. Why so?
It's a matter of reference points. From your balcony, you presumably have reference points nearby and in the intermediate distance and this gives you a different sense of perspective than what you get looking out over the ocean with no reference points.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn