Why does the uncertainty principle not force nucleons out of the nucleus?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Rabadi
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Lately, I have been thinking about the uncertainty principle (UP) and how it applies to the nucleons. Now, I understand that the reason that the electrons do not collapse into the nucleus may be explained by the UP. If the electrons collapse into the nucleus, the uncertainty in position would be so small that the momentum of the electrons would be so great that the electrons would simply fly off. So here comes my question, if the protons (or neutrons) are localized in the nucleus, then they're momentum must also be large. However, that's not the case since they're bound by the strong force. Is this a violation of the UP? Or am I missing some concept?

I would appreciate any response. Thank you.

Sam
 
Physics news on Phys.org
UP presents a relationship between uncertainty in position and uncertainty in momentum. Since the nucleons have far more mass, they can be "localized" easier than an electron with the same velocity uncertainty.