Why hasn't natural selection eliminated woodpeckers that peck air conditioners?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 4K views
tribdog
Messages
779
Reaction score
17
Survival of the fittest?
Right now, as I'm typing this, I've got some idiotic woodpecker outside my bedroom window banging it's brains out on my air conditioner. If Darwin is right how could this sort of idiotic behavior not have been bred out of this bird? How did this species not go the way of some of the other Brainiacs of the Animal Kingdom like Triceratops, dodos and unicorns?
I thought natural selection took care of this sort of stuff. That's why we have woodpeckers but we don't have rockpeckers, mountainlionpeckers or peckerpeckers anymore.
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
but we don't have rockpeckers, mountainlionpeckers or peckerpeckers anymore.
Dang! While the first two would most assuredly be amusing, it sure would be nice if EVERYONE could have a good peckerpecker!
 
I don't know about that, but I wouldn't say no to a peckerpucker.
 
ive heard that girls don't like peckerpackers.
 
Zero said:
I was full of bull last night...beef burritos, nummy!

what does that have to do with anything?
 
Zero said:
I was full of bull last night...beef burritos, nummy!

Aren't you on a diet? Now drop down and give me fifty!
 
jimmy p said:
Zero is a burritopecker...duh!
goll darn you, jimmy! now i HAVE to go change my pants... :eek: :frown:
 
jimmy p said:
looks like we have a randomabusepecker...

:wink: :biggrin:
 
actually, i thought the randomabusepecker was extinct, ladies and gentlemen, a RARITY... if you think about it in the wild, they WOULDNT survive long, going up to a lion and saying "your mum's a kitty!" just going to lead to mass extinction...
 
jimmy p said:
looks like we have a randomabusepecker...
Yes it does. Or it could be a meaninglesscommentpecker. An often ignored species. :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
Yes it does. Or it could be a meaninglesscommentpecker. An often ignored species. :biggrin:


ah we are so fun-loving! :smile:
 
I appologise for what I previously said, or didn't say. Someone has gotten a hold on my password. I will change it immediatly.
 
ah... the dastardly theiving passwordpecker... :wink:
 
Or maybe the ole' hestolemypasswordnotmeatallpecker trick :smile:
 
I bet the loudness of the pecking works like a mating call. If a male can find something that makes a real racket, the females probably think, "Whoa, that's one helluva pecker!"

Njorl
 
A woodpecker needs to apply a great deal of force to bury his acorn nuts into his unwilling host.
 
i don't think trees have that much will. Or maybe they enjoy having a woodpeckers nuts shoved in them...