Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Why I am not always convinced living in EU makes sense

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And the odds of such an incident happening are ???

Up next: The barrel with a bung hole technique for raising children. At least they'll be safe.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rules like this are rampant in the US, too.

I think overprotecting children creates adults who don't have a good idea of how to judge risk in general. This could mean that they overestimate their capabilities and take unwise risks, or they keep too far on the safe side and never take any risks.

Personally I think a society made of people who are afraid to take risks is a doomed society.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

russ_watters

In the US, we just banned millions of a certain class of cribs because a small handfull of kids were killed by improperly maintained ones.... at $11 million per life saved if implementation takes 10 years.

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5

mheslep

Gold Member

All because the Congress has the power To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes, at least according to the twisted notion put forth by FDR era courts.

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6

mheslep

Gold Member

8. Oct 11, 2011 #7

Borek

9. Oct 11, 2011 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Oct 11, 2011 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not correct, but the European Parliament isn't where the power lies. That is in the European Council and the European Commission, whcih pretty much appoint themselves.

11. Oct 13, 2011 #10
    Although a little smelly.

12. Oct 13, 2011 #11
    I think the question should be the other way :smile:

If the governments over there are able to pay so much attention to such silly things,that shows the level of development ,while some other countries are grappling poor education and child malnutrition.

13. Oct 13, 2011 #12

Borek

of bureaucracy perhaps.

14. Oct 14, 2011 #13
    My Mom and Dad let me skin my knees, and then some. It lead to a life of self-sufficiency and self-employment. After my years, I can't go down anymore, so I'm out of the diving business, but I can still consult.

Personally I think a society made of people who are afraid to take risks is a doomed society.[/QUOTE}

Life is a risk. You succeed, or you die. Hopefully, we'll help one another out in times of famine!

I'm not there yet, though!

15. Oct 14, 2011 #14

Borek

Actually, you die even if you succeed.

16. Oct 14, 2011 #15
    True, but you're missing my point. :)

17. Oct 30, 2011 #16
  18. Nov 2, 2011 #17
    Would like to point out that this has little to do with the EU as such, but is the UK's overzealous interpretation of EU law. The UK, especially with health and safety regulations, are masters at coming up with bizarre rules and then blaming the bizarreness on EU rules although strangely no other European country interprets the rules that way.

19. Nov 3, 2011 #18
    Nicely said! It's sort of a death spiral, too, where the more "safety" rules are made, the more folks are afraid to step out, and when they grow up and are in charge, they make even more rules.

I grew up collecting snakes and other reptiles. Some were even poisonous! These days, there's probably some rule against doing that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook