Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is Conservative talk radio so prevalent?

1. Jun 21, 2007 #1

And there is very little Liberal talk radio?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2007 #2
    Because of a tradition of conservative preachers in the US communities.
    And as second reason the church business that has been promoted by the authorities.

I observed the same for podcasts.
  4. Jun 22, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

That's a statement with a question mark on the end and it is largely meaningless (what is "very little"?).

Also, while it is certainly true that conservatives hold many of the highest rated radio shows, liberals have some of the highest rated tv shows and newspaper columns. So the deck is still stacked to the left.

To answer the question in the title, though, it is a simple reflection of listenership:

Here, just to make sure we have some facts, are some actual fall 2006 ratings: http://www.talkers.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=34
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  5. Jun 22, 2007 #4
    I'm a little surprised to see Savage ahead of Boortz.

While Savage is a volatile character and it's hilarious to hear him fly off the handle, Boortz is actually capable of holding an intelligent conversation.

will you please explain your second statement? Church business promoted by the authorities?
  6. Jun 22, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the grammar lesson, Russ. I would be rambling unintelligable strings of nonsense without grammar cops like yourself. j/k

Pardon me. It was meant to be a continuation of the first question.
  7. Jun 22, 2007 #6

I'm not trying to be the grammar police, but when you do that, there are several possible things that you could have meant. You could have been asking "Is there....?" or "Why is there....?" or you could have actually been intending to make the statement. I pointed it out because I wasn't sure what your point was.
  8. Jun 22, 2007 #7
    My grandma. I had never heard talk radio or seen a CNN show until I spent the summer with my grandparents several years ago. The elderly crowd (retired and 65+) are the reason talk show, cable news, and other medium exist and explains why they have a shift toward what you may say is liberal or conservative.
  9. Jun 22, 2007 #8
    sheep sheepel and very few who think or question the LIES
  10. Jun 22, 2007 #9
    Rush Limbaugh ranks the highest because he has learned how to pull the strings of; the hawks , the religious right, and just plain old fashioned conservatives. The guy can take a minor issue, add a few lies and distortions, and turn it into a major issue.

He was at his best when he was on drugs. perhaps he still is.

A lot of people listen to talk radio while commuting.
  11. Jun 23, 2007 #10
    My personal take on a few:

Rush Limbaugh - the father of Conservative talk radio. Pretty much a has been though he still holds an audience.

Bill O'Rielly - he does a few good things actually and has some good points but needs a dose of humility. He's no genius.

Micheal Savage - hard core old school, too outspoken for regular television and can really hit at the core of Conservative angst. Amidst his musings touches on some very profound American pie ideals. Not afraid to be un PC. Most entertaining. My personal favorite.

Dr Laura - A woman who actually knows how a man thinks! I'd hate to be her husband. High standards, high ideals, not tolerance for bimbos. Shoots with both barrels.
  12. Jun 23, 2007 #11
    You forgot G. Gordon Liddy. Im not conservative, but I do enjoy his show (or used to). I dont really listen to talk radio anymore and he switched over to AM radio. He was conservative, but was respectful about others on his show. He wasnt a loud mouth ass like O'reilly who thinks he knows everything, but actually knows nothing. Keith Oberman constantly SLAMS O'reillyon MSNBC...AWSOMEEEEEEEEE!
  13. Jun 23, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While head of the National re-elect Nixon campaign, at the Republican National Convention he had planned to kidnap some number of the protestors, presumably the leaders, drug them, take them to Mexico, and let them go. These are his words! Then they figured that the abductees would just think they had a bad [drug] trip.

He viewed the election as part of a greater civil war; where the laws were just “operatives”.

Nice guy.
  14. Jun 23, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find it interesting that the most uninformed people that I meet [like people who still think Saddam attacked NY] are often huge fans of hate radio. The way that I see it, the conservative talking idiots like Rush are largely responsible for the mess we're in now.
  15. Jun 23, 2007 #14
    Hate radio kept on fanning the flames of "Saddam attacked NY" Long after they knew that it wasn't true. I have a sister -in-law who still believes it.
  16. Jun 23, 2007 #15
    Dr Laura has her own moral skeletons in the closet. At one time her own standards were pretty low. Most probably that is the way she learned how a man thinks.
  17. Jun 23, 2007 #16
    Im well aware of his past. Though I dont agree with all his views (Pro Isreal, religion), I do think he has a respectful show.
  18. Jun 25, 2007 #17
    Should something be done about Conservative radio in the US?

Is it anti-American?

Is it really "hate" radio?

Is it a threat to national security?

Or is it simply an exercise of free speech that we all have to live with?
  19. Jun 25, 2007 #18
    Democracy came about when the public discovered that the pen was mightier than the sword. When powerful corporations replaced powerful families as the centers of wealth, they simply bought the pen.
  20. Jun 25, 2007 #19
    So thats how Dick Cheney got the freaking pen.:biggrin:
  21. Jun 26, 2007 #20

What could/should be done?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?