Why is dividing by zero impossible in math?

In summary, division by zero is impossible because any number multiplied by zero is still zero, making it impossible to get a specific value. In some cases, the result may be undefined or undetermined, but it will never be a specific value. This is important to consider when dealing with limits in math.
mathdad
We know division by zero is not possible but what is the math reason why it is impossible to divide by zero?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's say you wanted to do 5/0, then you're asking "how many 0's are there in 5?"

Well, try adding up 0's until you get to 5...

Hang on, 0 + 0 = 0... If I keep adding 0 we still stay at 0...

How can we ever possibly get to 5?

Saying that "[tex]\frac{a}{0}= c[/tex]" is equivalent to "a= 0*c". But 0 times anything is 0 so that would say a= 0.

In fact, some texts make a distinction between [tex]\frac{a}{0}[/tex], for a non-zero, and [tex]\frac{0}{0}[tex]. If [tex]a\ne 0[/tex] then [tex]\frac{a}{0}= c[/tex], for any number, c, is equivalent to [tex]a= 0*c= 0[/tex] which is false. There is NO number c that satisfies that so we say it is "undefined" or simply impossible.

On the other hand, [tex]\frac{0}{0}= c[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]0= 0*c= 0[/tex] which is true- but is true for any number c. There is no unique number c such that this is true so we say that it is "undetermined".

The difference is really only important in "limits". If I am trying to find [tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] and find that g, separately, goes to 0 while f goes to a non-zero number, I have the case [tex]\frac{a}{0}[/tex] for a non-zero: there is no such limit. But If both f and g go to 0 then there still might be a limit. For example, if [tex]f(x)= x^2- 9[/tex] and [tex]g(x)= x- 3[/tex] both f(3)= 0 and g(3)= 0. But for x not equal to 0, [tex]\frac{x^2- 9}{x- 3}= \frac{(x- 3)(x+ 3)}{x- 3}= x+ 3[/tex] so [tex]\lim_{x\to 3}\frac{x^2- 9}{x- 3}= \lim_{x\to 3} x+ 3= 6[/tex].

- - - Updated - - -

Saying that "[tex]\frac{a}{0}= c[/tex]" is equivalent to "a= 0*c". But 0 times anything is 0 so that would say a= 0.

In fact, some texts make a distinction between [tex]\frac{a}{0}[/tex], for a non-zero, and [tex]\frac{0}{0}[tex]. If [tex]a\ne 0[/tex] then [tex]\frac{a}{0}= c[/tex], for any number, c, is equivalent to [tex]a= 0*c= 0[/tex] which is false. There is NO number c that satisfies that so we say it is "undefined" or simply impossible.

On the other hand, [tex]\frac{0}{0}= c[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]0= 0*c= 0[/tex] which is true- but is true for any number c. There is no unique number c such that this is true so we say that it is "undetermined".

The difference is really only important in "limits". If I am trying to find [tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] and find that g, separately, goes to 0 while f goes to a non-zero number, I have the case [tex]\frac{a}{0}[/tex] for a non-zero: there is no such limit. But If both f and g go to 0 then there still might be a limit. For example, if [tex]f(x)= x^2- 9[/tex] and [tex]g(x)= x- 3[/tex] both f(3)= 0 and g(3)= 0. But for x not equal to 0, [tex]\frac{x^2- 9}{x- 3}= \frac{(x- 3)(x+ 3)}{x- 3}= x+ 3[/tex] so [tex]\lim_{x\to 3}\frac{x^2- 9}{x- 3}= \lim_{x\to 3} x+ 3= 6[/tex].

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Great information.

- - - Updated - - -

Say there are 5 people in a particular classroom. They came to class without a pencil. If the principal walks into the classroom and tells me to distribute one pencil per student but I have no pencils, no one will get a pencil. How can I divide a number by nothing? So, number ÷ nothing = undefined.

1. What is division by zero?

Division by zero is a mathematical operation in which a number is divided by zero. This operation is undefined in mathematics and cannot be solved.

2. Why is division by zero undefined?

Division by zero is undefined because it contradicts the fundamental rules of mathematics. When dividing a number by another number, the result should be a unique value. However, when dividing by zero, any number can be the result, making it impossible to define a specific value.

3. What happens when you divide a number by zero?

When attempting to divide a number by zero, an error or undefined result will occur. This is because there is no unique number that can be the result of this operation.

4. Are there any exceptions to division by zero being undefined?

No, there are no exceptions to division by zero being undefined. This rule applies to all numbers, including positive and negative numbers, as well as fractions and decimals.

5. Can division by zero ever be equal to zero?

No, division by zero can never be equal to zero. As mentioned before, division by zero is undefined and cannot be solved. Therefore, it cannot result in any specific value, including zero.