Why is e^-1 considered the inverse of the natural logarithm?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Bengo
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Why is e^-1 the inverse of natural log e? Thank you
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is confusing. Let y = ln(x), then x = ey. If x = e, y = 1.
 
Well I was reading a section on charging/ discharging capacitors and this is what it said: charge on a capacitor builds up on the capacitors plates exponentially, indicated in the passage by the repeated appearance in the charge equation of e^-1, the inverse of the natural log e. And I think the equation they are referring to is Q=Qmax(1- e^-1).
 
mfb said:
Could it mean "the inverse of the [basis of the] natural log[,] e"? As e-1 = 1/e


Ok I'll go with that because it's what I was thinking too. Thank you!