Why is everything in the Solar system on a flat plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the flatness of the solar system and the formation of the planets from a flat, rotating cloud. It is noted that while most planets have orbits close to the ecliptic, there are some exceptions such as Pluto. The Oort cloud is also mentioned, with its spherical shape and the possibility that its innermost part may also be flat like the rest of the system. The formation of the Oort cloud is attributed to gravitational interactions with the gas giants.
Smartoad
Everything is on the same plane, and I was wondering why. I mean like, if you laid a reallllly flat and thin plate out, then everything rotating around the sun would fall in that, I mean the planets, not comets or whatever.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's not exactly true - while planets orbits do lie close to ecliptic, they are all more or less inclined.

From what I remember initial cloud from which Sun and planets formed get flat as a result of gravitation and rotation.

This question was asked just a couple of days ago. See [thread=441523]this thread[/thread] and my response in [post=2951827]post #2[/post].

Borek said:
That's not exactly true - while planets orbits do lie close to ecliptic, they are all more or less inclined.
From what I remember initial cloud from which Sun and planets formed get flat as a result of gravitation and rotation.

Agreed ... Tho the major planets are within a couple of deg of the ecliptic, pluto is 17.14 deg. Most comets and many of the asteroids have highly inclined orbits.

Dave

D H said:
This question was asked just a couple of days ago. See [thread=441523]this thread[/thread] and my response in [post=2951827]post #2[/post].

The direct answer is a referal that says that the proto solar system was a a flat swirling disk. I guess it's clear that such a disk would attract down to it anything above or below it. I guess it's also clear that any rotating cloud in space would tend to form a disk because it would extend along the line of its equator (even the Earth is a little fat).

What shape is the Oort cloud?

AC130Nav said:
What shape is the Oort cloud?
The Opik-Oort cloud is roughly spherical. The members of the Oort cloud have, in many instance, been ejected from the solar system by gravitational interaction with Jupiter or the other giants. Since the ejection can be in any direction they tend to form such a sphere. I think there is some thought that the innermost part of the cloud is also planar, like the rest of the system.

1. Why does the Solar system have a flat plane?

The flat plane of the Solar system is a result of its formation process. As the Solar system formed from a large cloud of gas and dust, it began to spin due to its own gravitational pull. This spinning motion caused the materials to flatten out into a disk shape, with the majority of the mass in the center forming the Sun and the lighter materials spreading out into the surrounding space.

2. Is the flat plane of the Solar system unique?

No, the flat plane of the Solar system is not unique. In fact, most planetary systems that have been observed also have a flat plane, known as the ecliptic plane. This is due to the same formation process and laws of gravity that govern the formation of all planetary systems.

3. How does the flat plane of the Solar system affect the orbits of the planets?

The flat plane of the Solar system plays a crucial role in the stability of the planets' orbits. As the planets orbit the Sun, their paths are confined to the same flat plane, minimizing the chances of collisions and disruptions in their orbits. This allows the planets to maintain relatively stable orbits over long periods of time.

4. Are there any exceptions to the flat plane in the Solar system?

While the majority of objects in the Solar system follow the flat plane, there are some exceptions. Dwarf planets, comets, and asteroids can have inclined or eccentric orbits, meaning they deviate from the flat plane. This is often due to gravitational interactions with larger planets or other objects in the Solar system.

5. Could the flat plane of the Solar system change over time?

While it is possible for the flat plane of the Solar system to change over time, it would require a significant disruption or event. For example, a large asteroid impact or close encounter with another star could alter the orbits of the planets and potentially change the flat plane. However, the current stability and balance of the Solar system make it unlikely for a major change to occur in the near future.