Why is Graham's number a factor of 3?

• I
  • Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
Additionally, the problem may have been posed in a way that naturally led to the use of 3 as the factor.
BWV
Grahams Number, the largest number used in a mathematical proof (so large you can't even comprehend how $&%ing big it is), is a factor of 3 (I.e. g1= 3^^^^3 using the ^ for the Knuth up-arrow notation and grahams number = g64 where each step from g1 to 64 the number of arrows is iterated from the previous number, so g1 is incomprehensible and g2 has g1 number of ^'s and so on)

the number is the upper bound to the problem:

Connect each pair of geometric vertices of an n-dimensional hypercube to obtain a complete graph on 2n vertices. Colour each of the edges of this graph either red or blue. What is the smallest value of n for which every such colouring contains at least one single-coloured complete subgraph on four coplanar vertices?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here’s a fascinating discussion of Graham’s number although I couldn’t find why exactly it’s based on 3:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

Looking at the problem and it’s 4 coplanar vertices, it seems it’s most likely related to the 3 ways these four vertices can be connected. As an example, given vertices A,B,C,D then the connections would be AB,AC,AD but this is only a guess. It could also be related to the spaces divided up by these vertices like a tetrahedron projected onto a plane with one vertex in the center then connecting lines divide up the plane into 3 regions.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
That is a great link - its where I learned what little I know about it.

Likes pinball1970 and jedishrfu
BWV said:
That is a great link - its where I learned what little I know about it.

I made the mistake of catching numberphile on this googling it then watching More you tube posts then finally physics forums.

I have been trying to get my head round it ever since

Grahams number is insane, just picturing the structure is insane, 3|||3 makes a googolplex look small. I would like to know how they know now Tree(3) is so much bigger.
Not much on the net I can grasp

You might find something useful in the Quora discussion:

https://www.quora.com/Is-Tree-3-bigger-than-Graham’s-number

There's a set of videos referenced in the post but like the number itself may take a long time to view and reflect upon before you feel you've found an answer to your question.

Popular Mechanics article on it:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/a28725/number-tree3/

Alternatively, this video below attempt to answer the question in 10 minutes:

and this Numberphile video:

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Ok so what about G(Tree(3)) vs Tree(G64)? ?:)

This might be conjectured by analogy:

We consider two functions ##f(x) = x^2## versus ##g(x) = e^x## and then ask ## f(g(x)) <?> g(f(x)) ## if so then:

Is there a theorem that encapsulates the notion of function growth which in our case g(x) >> f(x) as x gets very large does that imply g(f(x)) will grow much faster than f(g(x))?​

Using DESMOS, it seems that ##g(f(x)) = e^{x^2}## grows faster than ##f(g(x) = (e^x)^2## which upon rewriting f(g(x)) = e^{2x} and noting that ##x^2## grows much faster than ##2x##

so that would imply that given ##TREE(3) >> G(64)## then ##TREE(G64)## grow much faster than ##G(TREE(3))##

Perhaps @Mark44 or @fresh_42 can comment here.

Likes BWV
My only comment is that the thread title is misleading: "Why is Graham's number a factor of 3?"

Since 3 is a prime, its only integer factors are itself and 1. A better thread title would be "Why is Graham's number a power of 3?

Likes jbriggs444
BWV said:
Ok so what about G(Tree(3)) vs Tree(G64)? ?:)
That's cheating ha ha! I think the fact these enormous numbers have been used in proofs and the fact they are finite makes them interesting.
Also the way the arrow notation escalates so wildly after only a couple of terms.
The comparisons of what some the numbers could represent and the fact Grahams leaves physical reality pretty quickly is mind boggling.

jedishrfu said:
You might find something useful in the Quora discussion:

https://www.quora.com/Is-Tree-3-bigger-than-Graham’s-number

There's a set of videos referenced in the post but like the number itself may take a long time to view and reflect upon before you feel you've found an answer to your question.

Popular Mechanics article on it:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/a28725/number-tree3/

Alternatively, this video below attempt to answer the question in 10 minutes:

and this Numberphile video:

Thanks

Understanding is not the right word but at least this has given me a glimpse of how fast these beasts can grow.

Mark44 said:
My only comment is that the thread title is misleading: "Why is Graham's number a factor of 3?"

Since 3 is a prime, its only integer factors are itself and 1. A better thread title would be "Why is Graham's number a power of 3?

Why is it 3? 4 seems to make more sense, sides and vertices.

Most likely 1 and 2 were trivial but 3 produced interesting math results.

Also 4 is a multiple of 2 and so may not have been interesting enough.

Likes pinball1970

1. Why is Graham's number so large?

Graham's number is a theoretical number that was first introduced by mathematician Ronald Graham. It is incredibly large because it is used to solve a problem in the field of combinatorics, which deals with counting and arranging objects. It is so large that it cannot be written out in standard notation and is only used as a theoretical concept in mathematics.

2. What is the significance of Graham's number being a factor of 3?

The fact that Graham's number is a factor of 3 is significant because it is related to the solution of the problem it was created to solve. The problem, known as the "Moscow Puzzles", required finding the number of possible moves in a game called "Monopoly". Graham's number being a factor of 3 means that it is a key component in solving this problem.

3. How does Graham's number relate to the concept of infinity?

Graham's number is often used as an example of a number that is incredibly large and close to infinity. However, it is still a finite number and has a definite value, unlike infinity which is an abstract concept. Graham's number is a useful tool for understanding the concept of infinity and its relationship to finite numbers.

4. Can Graham's number be used in practical applications?

No, Graham's number is purely a theoretical concept and has no practical applications in the real world. It was created to solve a specific mathematical problem and is only used in theoretical discussions and thought experiments in mathematics.

5. How long would it take to write out Graham's number?

It is impossible to write out Graham's number in standard notation because it has more digits than the number of atoms in the observable universe. Even if you were able to write one digit on each atom, it would take much longer than the estimated age of the universe to write out the entire number.