LaTeX Why is Latex pronounced as "Latec"?

• Thread starter Zack K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    latex
I've always pronounced it as its spell. It seems weird that you pronounce the x as a c/k.

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Because the thing that looks like an X is supposed to be a Greek letter ##\chi##, which has a hard 'k' sound rather than 'ks'.

Read more about it here.

DrClaude

Mentor
Read more about it here.
There is a link in there to a conference Knuth gave in 2010 using hand-written transparencies!

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Because the thing that looks like an X is supposed to be a Greek letter ##\chi##, which has a hard 'k' sound rather than 'ks'.

Read more about it here.
Thanks, I started to doubt that I pronounced it wrong all the years, since I pronounce it with a ##\chi## which in Greek is neither ##k## nor ##x##.
[çi:]

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
"Latex" is pronounced "LAY-tex". [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], however, is pronounced "lah-TEHK".

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor
"Latex" is pronounced "LAY-tex". [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], however, is pronounced "lah-TEHK".
I have never heard LaTeX pronounced "lah-TEHK". Nearly everyone I've ever worked with pronounced it "LAY-tehk". In fact, the post by @andrewkirk above gives an explanation regarding pronunciation, and the link he's provided confirms my own observations.

DrClaude

Mentor
Sure it shouldn't be L.A.Tehk?
Sure! Leslie Lamport said he doesn't care how you pronounce it, so long that it is not "L.A."

Borek

Mentor
Why is X pronounced 'its own way unrelated to anything else' is a question that can be asked about every second English word.

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Why is X pronounced 'its own way unrelated to anything else' is a question that can be asked about every second English word.
Clearly, X (in the English language) is a variable and can be replaced with a variety of different sounds.

Klystron

Gold Member
Pronounce a neologism how you prefer. Understanding then becomes a problem for your audience. :rolleyes:

Seriously. Appending a Greek letter to a Latin-sounding prefix makes for an interesting logo but the answer to your question could be: pronounce the word as the people around you do to the best of your ability.

Personally, I treat the Chi as an x and (mis)-pronounce the neologism as I would the x in the word 'text' with a long a in the first syllable. Lay-tex like the older commercial name for acrylic paint (latex).

Klystron

Gold Member
There's another part of the story....[snip]...and latex is a paint...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX
Vindication of my pronunciation at the third level of analysis; extract from @jedishrfu link with my bold text:

"The characters T, E, X in the name come from the Greek capital letters tau, epsilon, and chi, as the name of TeX derives from the Greek: τέχνη (skill, art, technique); for this reason, TeX's creator Donald Knuth promotes a pronunciation of /tɛx/ (tekh)[15] (that is, with a voiceless velar fricative as in Modern Greek, similar to the ch in loch). Lamport writes "TeX is usually pronounced tech, making lah-teck, lah-teck, and lay-teck the logical choices; but language is not always logical, so lay-tecks is also possible."