Why is mitochondria called the powerhouse of the cell?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
davemattie
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
homework help...

Homework Statement



why mitochondria is called the power house of the cell?
which is the site for protein syntesis in a cell??

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I found out that mitochondria is the site for protein synthesis but I think its kinda wrong...
Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I don't understand why people come here for vocab definitions. You know you can look that up on google in like 5 seconds so why even ask us? If you have a science question involving mathematical equations, etc, it would make more sense to post it here.
 


davemattie said:

Homework Statement



why mitochondria is called the power house of the cell?
which is the site for protein syntesis in a cell??

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I found out that mitochondria is the site for protein synthesis but I think its kinda wrong...
Please help!

It is kinda wrong. Protein synthesis occurs both in the mitochondria and in other organelles. There is a particular structure responsible involved that is distributed throughout several organelles including the mitochondria.

I wouldn't classify the mitochondria as a site for protein synthesis but it is the powerhouse because it produces... something important the cell uses as a source of energy.