Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is my eyebrow healthier than my head hair?

1. Nov 17, 2006 #1
    I noticed that my eye brow hair is substantially smoother,softer and healthier overall than my head hair? I know that part of the answer is that we touch and mess with head hair more but there must be another reason - at the molecular level.

And is it possible to make my head hair as healthy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2006 #2
    The reason is physics.

Possible, impractical.

(Might want a bio' forum for more detail :biggrin:)
  4. Nov 17, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many factors, the hair on your head is much older than the eyebrow hair. You probably comb your hear, put products in it, wash it with shampoo. The basic structures are different too, you should put it under the microscope and compare the thickness etc.
  5. Nov 17, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think it's all that nurturing mite-poop.:biggrin:
  6. Nov 17, 2006 #5
    Well people said the same thing ata other forums but I had already stated that.

But that cant be the full answer because I see people with head hair as healthy as their eye brow hair.
  7. Nov 17, 2006 #6
    Are you male? Testosterone tends to do that to hair (on head) as you grow older; for some worse than others due to heredity, as there is variance in how it interacts with the follicle for each person. Other things to do: exercise, eat healthy, sleep, don't stress.

I don't think the eyebrow hair is that much younger than the head hair anyway.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?