Why is my Latex not working properly after recent changes?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Delta2
  • Start date
In summary: Preview function seems to work fine. Some other minor issues i had seem to have gone as well. All looks good to me, i also updated Microsoft Edge yesterday.If you edit Latex, then preview, then refresh the page, the latex is rendered in the edit window. That prevents you from further editing the latex to correct errors. In the edit window, the latex must always show as code, and never rendered.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
It looks like someone has tweaked latex options and it just doesn't work as before. For example the \lim command seems messed up, some letters are changing from capital to lower case and vice versa (for example if I type $$\lim \Omega R$$ it shows up as r while it is a capital R) and generally it seems messed up
Also the preview function doesn't seem to render latex commands so there is no way for me to know if I ve post all the latex correctly before I hit the Post message button.
So if anyone knows what's going on and can reverse the whole situation, please do, please make latex like it was 2-3 days ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
strange it seems it works fine when I write here but not when I write in the forum threads e.g Introductory Physics Homework forum

Two things happened, we switched to MathJax 3 which is not yet fully featured, definitely report back any issues. Also I am limited which templates load the script to get better performance. I am working on the preview issue, hold tight. Many issues are the result of caching. Please clear your browser cache.

Likes dlgoff
Also, when posting an answer I have to refresh the page to see my Latex rendered.

Also what doesn't work anymore at all is the preview function. When I click on "preview" nothing with LaTeX is rendered. It's very inconvenient to post everything for reviewing and then editing it. The preview function is really necessary to work properly!

Never change a running system! ;-)).

FYI: I type on a usual laptop under Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) and firefox 76.0.1 64-bit.

vanhees71 said:
Then we might have to wait a long time to get this problem fixed.

Preview functionality has gone completely for me too - it was working for replies but not new threads, but now it isn't working in replies. Layout looks fine to me in Firefox, though - maybe an Edge issue?

It seems to be working for me again now. This morning Latex was not rendering on a preview - only when I refreshed the screen. Now it seems okay again.

We're back to version 2. I'm talking to the devs to see how can fix our custom functions. I want to push for version 3 though because it performs much better. Loading mathjax is a major drag on performance.

Likes Delta2, dlgoff, vanhees71 and 1 other person
So with v3 you might not get that three step load-as-source, load-kinda-formatted, final-load thing? I'm all for that!

Likes vanhees71
anorlunda said:
Then we might have to wait a long time to get this problem fixed.
Of course I meant to have kept the one which worked right! I know that this is not always possible, e.g., for security reasons when you need to update to a newer version of some software or there's really needed new functionality of a new system.

vanhees71 said:
You always have to change the running system sometime! Props to @Greg Bernhardt for responding quickly with a rollback.

Likes WWGD, Tom.G, jim mcnamara and 2 others
We're back on MJ3. I added a function for the preview. Let me know what issues you find. I know at the moment, if you are creating a post and refresh, the latex will render in the editor.

Likes Ibix
Looks good so far, but I'll keep my eyes open. I think it does seem a bit slicker to load. Thanks Greg!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Preview function seems to work fine. Some other minor issues i had seem to have gone as well. All looks good to me, i also updated Microsoft Edge yesterday.

Greg Bernhardt said:
if you are creating a post and refresh, the latex will render in the editor.

Oh no. Your last change causes big problems.

If you edit Latex, then preview, then refresh the page, the latex is rendered in the edit window. That prevents you from further editing the latex to correct errors. In the edit window, the latex must always show as code, and never rendered.

Yes, indeed. This miraculously has distorted a posting of mine yesterday. I had to retype all the LaTeX again.

And I'm afraid that LaTeX vanishes completely if you use the select text popup menu. For example, if you select and quote this sentence which contains ##\LaTeX## you'll find that the LaTeX is gone.

• Sad
Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
For example, if you select and quote this sentence which contains you'll find that the LaTeX is gone.
...like that.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
I'll work on this later today, hold tight

Likes Ibix, vanhees71 and member 587159
Greg Bernhardt said:
How about now?
It seems to be working OK, but somewhat slow. I don't know if that's on the server end, or just my internet service being slow with more people online than before Covid.

Mark44 said:
It seems to be working OK, but somewhat slow.
What exactly is slow? Latex rendering or overall page loading?

I don't think I see the render-on-reload in the editor, although I hadn't tripped over that one before so I may just be not understanding what was wrong.

Rendering times seem fine in Android Firefox.

LaTeX appears in the preview.

LaTeX is still entirely missing from selected-and-replied text. Replying to the whole email and editing out what I don't want remains a workaround.

The whole page is coming and going. On the list of threads page and viewing threads. The content appears briefly and then vanishes. This has been happening all evening. Firefox (latest version).

Ibix said:
LaTeX is still entirely missing from selected-and-replied text. Replying to the whole email and editing out what I don't want remains a workaround.
This will likely never have a workaround because the select-to-quote only copies the rendered text. The latex is built from CSS.

PeroK said:
The whole page is coming and going. On the list of threads page and viewing threads. The content appears briefly and then vanishes. This has been happening all evening. Firefox (latest version).
Like a flicker? All content or just latex? Or some content and not others?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What browser and version?
MSFT Edge 44.18362.449.0, on Win 10

Greg Bernhardt said:
Like a flicker? All content or just latex? Or some content and not others?
All the content. It generally stays if I hold the scroll bar.

PeroK said:
All the content. It generally stays if I hold the scroll bar.
What browser and version?