Why is spastic cerebral palsy caused by lesion in pyramidal tract?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
sameeralord
Messages
659
Reaction score
3
Hello everyone,

The way I remember upper motor neuron lesions. I always thought a singular lesion in pyramidal tract would only cause Babiniski sign and loss of superficial reflexes. For a UMN to cause spasticty it must affect extra pyramidal motor tracts such as reticulospinal tract.

But I just read in this website spastic cerbral palsy is pyramidal and non spastic is extrapyramidal. How can that be?

Also did I understand these terms right

Plegia : Complete paralysis.
Diplegia: Lower Limbs affected more than Upper Limb . Isn't this same as paraplegia?
Quadriplgia: All 4 limbs affected. Are UL more affected than LL.Thank you :smile:
 
Biology news on Phys.org