Why is the brain bigger than a walnut?

• Thread starter Phrak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation discusses the size of the brain compared to a walnut and why it is larger than other animals. The reason for this is due to mammal brains becoming crumpled in order to increase surface area and allow for more cortex and higher level processing. It is also mentioned that the size of the skull may have been limited by the size of the pelvis and birth canal. Some individuals argue that brain size does not necessarily determine intelligence as other animals have larger brains. The conversation also touches on the possibility of future evolution leading to even larger brains.
Phrak
Why is the brain bigger than a walnut?

Biology news on Phys.org
Why would it be the size of a walnut?

Guess i'll have to go with my six year old's answer,

"So we can know more stuff.".

Dad, "Why should we know more stuff?"

"So we can do our jobs."

Dad :confused:

"Like a police. Like a fire fighter!" :uhh:

Daddies are so dense.

Some brains are the size of a walnut. I think cat brains are about that size.

Brains are limited by skull size. From what I understand, mammal brains got around that limitation by becoming crumpled. The surface area to volume ratio is increased allowing for more cortex and higher level processing.

I'm not sure why we never evolved larger skulls for our expanding brains. It probably had something to do with limitations on the size of the pelvis and birth canal.

It's also not clear that having a larger brain has anything to do with being smarter. Lots of primates have brains just as large if not larger than we do but no one seriously argues that they are more intelligent.

I can think of a lot of species with brains smaller than a walnut. Mouse, rat, rabbit, bat, guinea pig, vole, squirrel, zebrafish, chicken, pigeon, salamander, frog, etc.

Is there a more specific question that prompted the original post?

So... A walnut is good for breeding, eating, running way, chasing things, nibbling on greens in a dark hole. What's the the rest of the cheese cake good for?

It costs about 100 Watts just to keep it booted, doesn't it? So maybe it's less, but it's still must cost something to keep it plugged in.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I'm not sure why we never evolved larger skulls for our expanding brains. It probably had something to do with limitations on the size of the pelvis and birth canal.

It's possible to accommodate more brains by changing skull shapes. But skull size and brain size has been increasing all along and we have larger of each than say habilis or erectus.. It would probably continue to do so and whatever sapiens evolve into I imagine will have even larger brains than we did. I assume the birth canal can evolve to adjust as well, but even if it can't be done the shape can change, it doesn't have to be wider it can be longer and still fit through the birth canal. Earlier ancestors had more in the front of their skull, they could probably take a bigger bite, but their cranial region couldn't hold much. That evolved into what we have where the front is rather pushed back and a much bigger cranium resulted. I imagine the evolution will continue in this direction. Maybe we'll wind up like the coneheads.

1. Why is the brain bigger than a walnut?

The brain is bigger than a walnut because it has evolved to perform complex functions that are necessary for survival. As humans, we have evolved to have larger brains in order to process and analyze information, form memories, and make decisions.

2. Is the size of the brain related to intelligence?

Yes, the size of the brain is correlated with intelligence. However, brain size is not the only factor that determines intelligence. The structure and organization of the brain, as well as the connections between different regions, also play a significant role in determining intelligence.

3. Are there any animals with brains smaller than a walnut?

Yes, there are many animals with brains smaller than a walnut. In fact, some insects and invertebrates have brains that are only a few millimeters in size. However, these animals have adapted to survive and thrive with their smaller brains, and they can still perform complex behaviors and processes.

4. Can the brain change in size?

Yes, the brain can change in size. This is known as neuroplasticity, and it refers to the brain's ability to adapt and change in response to new experiences and learning. For example, learning a new skill can cause certain areas of the brain to grow and develop.

5. Are there any disadvantages to having a larger brain?

Having a larger brain can come with some disadvantages. A larger brain requires more energy to function, so it is important for us to consume a balanced diet that supports brain health. Additionally, a larger brain can make childbirth more difficult for humans compared to other animals with smaller brains.