What happens in the brain when we feel pleasure or pain?

In summary: PMC1228673/So in summary, dopamine is released when we feel pleasure and it interacts with the brain in different ways to create different brain states, which can include positive reinforcement or pleasure.
kolleamm
From what I understand dopamine is released when we feel pleasure but how exactly does it interact with the brain? Does it spread to only a small space or a much bigger one?
I wonder the same for pain too.

Biology news on Phys.org
This is pretty Googleable (it's a word).
What have you found so far, and what specific questions didn't your research answer?

Likes jim mcnamara
kolleamm said:
From what I understand dopamine is released when we feel pleasure but how exactly does it interact with the brain? Does it spread to only a small space or a much bigger one?
I wonder the same for pain too.
Your query, addresses a mix different mechanisms at different levels of explanation.

kolleamm said:
dopamine is released when we feel pleasure but how exactly does it interact with the brain?
Although certain brain areas have been identified with certain aspects of behavior, I don't think there is a good understanding how how the brain's functioning as a conscious entity is affected by to cause it to feel pleasure. That is to say what is the difference between a happy and not happy brain state is not (to my knowledge) defined.
This is a psychological/brain physiology relationship.
Alternatively pleasure can be interpreted as the internal psychological experience of positive reinforcement, and the positive reinforcement can be considered from a behavioral/brain physiology perspective.

kolleamm said:
Does it spread to only a small space or a much bigger one?
Dopamine is found in several areas of the brain and is used in different functional mechanisms for different purposes in the brain.
One of those functions involves positive reinforcement and/or pleasure.

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter. Typically transmitters are released from the ends of a neuron's axons. Axons are extensions from the neuron's cell body. They can be long or short.
The axons of neurons can be:
  • short (as in local interneurons)
  • or can go far away in the brain (these are projection neurons, projecting axons to distant targets). Thus their signals may cover a lot of area in the brain. Dopamine neurons are like this.
Transmitter release sites:
  • Transmitters can be released in tight association with a post-synaptic target cell. Rapidly diffusing a short distant to receptors on it's target cell in about 2 milliseconds.
  • Sometimes the post-synaptic target is the pre-synaptic terminal of another cell. This can quickly have the effect of modulating the ability of the other pre-synaptic cell's activity to evoke its release of transmitter.
  • Alternatively, the neuron's release site can be loosely associated with it target cells, so the released transmitter will (relatively) slowly diffuse to a wider field of targets over a longer time scale. Kind of like a hormone (a neuro-hormone).
My recollection is that transmitters like dopamine, in response to "pleasureable inputs" (or positive reinforcements) are released at at several places in the limbic system (a complex of interacting brain areas involved in emotional behaviors).
Although the dopamine may have effects in different areas, together they would have an overall effect of positive reinforcement or pleasure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes kolleamm, Klystron, atyy and 1 other person
Since @BillTre answered the first part of your question, I'll give a few pointers for the second part about pain.

For normal sensing of pain, like when you are pricked by a needle or touch a hot stove, those depend on special pain-sensing neurons in the periphery. So pain has a special, separate pathway at the periphery. Whether pain also remains a separate pathway in the brain is unknown (most of us think it isn't, but imaging of brain activity doesn't have enough resolution to settle the question).

It is difficult to induce pain by stimulating the brain without stimulating the peripheral pain-sensing neurons, which is why it is often said the brain has no pain receptors, and one can operate on the brain without inducing pain. There are pain-sensing neurons in the meninges, the membranes covering the brain.

However, it is possible to produce sensations of pain in the brain by stimulating in the secondary somatosensory cortex (SII) and the insula.
Stimulation of the human cortex and the experience of pain: Wilder Penfield's observations revisited
Laure Mazzola, Jean Isnard, Roland Peyron, François Mauguière
Brain, Volume 135, Issue 2, February 2012, Pages 631–640
https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/135/2/631/261811

At a rough simplistic level, there are separate pathways in the brain for pain "sensation" and pain "unpleasantness".

It is possible to feel pain unpleasantness without being able to localize precisely the source of the pain, which is consistent with the idea that the pain "sensation" pathway can be damaged without damaging the pain "unpleasantness" pathway.
Pain affect without pain sensation in a patient with a postcentral lesion.
Ploner M1, Freund HJ, Schnitzler A.
Pain. 1999 May;81(1-2):211-4.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10353510

It also seems possible to some experience pain "sensation" without experiencing pain "unpleasantness"
Pain affect encoded in human anterior cingulate but not somatosensory cortex.
Rainville P1, Duncan GH, Price DD, Carrier B, Bushnell MC.
Science. 1997 Aug 15;277(5328):968-71.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9252330

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara, DaveE, kolleamm and 1 other person
Thank you for your well detailed responses. I want to have a really good understanding of the brain so that perhaps I could understand how consciousness arises, if that's even possible. That has been something I've wondered about for years.

kolleamm said:
Thank you for your well detailed responses. I want to have a really good understanding of the brain so that perhaps I could understand how consciousness arises, if that's even possible. That has been something I've wondered about for years.

My suggestion is to stay away from asking about consciousness on PF. Many neuroscientists (and lots of other people) are of course personally interested in consciousness, but we don't even know what an answer would look like, so it is not addressed in technical forums here or among professional neuroscientists (maybe at beer after work).

In addition to the complexity of the consciousness question that @atyy referred to, a lot of people will avoid the discussion because there is a lot (really A LOT!) of crap out there associated with it; Deepak Chopra and such.

1. What is the role of neurotransmitters in pleasure and pain?

Neurotransmitters are chemicals in the brain that help to transmit signals between neurons. In the context of pleasure and pain, neurotransmitters play a crucial role in regulating the intensity and duration of these experiences. Dopamine, for example, is associated with feelings of pleasure, while serotonin is involved in regulating pain perception.

2. How does the brain process pleasure and pain differently?

The brain processes pleasure and pain through different neural pathways and regions. Pleasure is primarily processed in the reward center of the brain, which includes the ventral tegmental area and the nucleus accumbens. Pain, on the other hand, is processed in various regions of the brain, including the thalamus, the somatosensory cortex, and the anterior cingulate cortex.

3. Can pleasure and pain be addictive?

Pleasure and pain can both be addictive, as they activate the same reward pathways in the brain. This can lead to a cycle of seeking out pleasure or avoiding pain, which can become problematic and lead to addictive behaviors. However, the degree of addiction can vary depending on the individual and the specific experience.

4. How does the brain adapt to repeated experiences of pleasure or pain?

The brain has a remarkable ability to adapt to repeated experiences of pleasure or pain. This is known as neuroplasticity, and it allows the brain to change and reorganize its neural connections in response to new experiences. For example, repeated exposure to pleasure can lead to desensitization, while repeated exposure to pain can lead to increased pain tolerance.

5. Are there any long-term effects on the brain from experiencing pleasure or pain?

Yes, there can be long-term effects on the brain from experiencing pleasure or pain. Chronic pain, for example, can lead to changes in the brain's structure and function, potentially causing long-term pain sensitization. Similarly, chronic exposure to pleasure, such as in the case of drug addiction, can also lead to changes in the brain that can have long-lasting effects on behavior and well-being.