Why is the derivative of cos(sin(x)) equal to cos(sin(x)) not -sin(sin(x))?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
monet A
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Hi I'm new here, great forum!
On another thread that I can't find I found a message from jamesrc about differentiating cos of sinx that says:

df(g(x))/dx = df(g)/dg * dg(x)/dx by the chain rule, this part I get and I thank james for the help the thing that confuses me is why df(g)/dg = cos(cosx).
Aren't we differentiating df(g) wrt (g) which would give -sin(sinx). What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not missing anything; you are correct: [itex]d/dx [\cos (\sin x)] = - \sin (\sin x) \cos x[/itex]
 
Oh thanks Al! :smile:
I just found the thread I read and realized that james was differentiating sin of cos not cos of sin, lol.

:blushing:
 
I'm glad you cleared jamesrc's good name! :smile:

And welcome to PF, by the way.