Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Characteristics of trigonometric function compositions like sin(sin(x))

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    Hello,
    Are there any particular properties, indentities or usages of composite trigonometric functions, say sin(sinx) or cos(sin(x))?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi d5,

Not many I should think. Usually the argument of a goniometric function is an angle and the result is a number, not an angle.
    But it's always nice to have students sink their teeth in such a contraption.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. Mar 13, 2017 #3
    Well, I have just found on the web that composite trigonometric functions can be applied in substitutions, for example: √1-9x^2 can be replaced to sin(arccos 3x).Is it useful somehow?

5. Mar 13, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a combination of a goniometric function acting on the result of an inverse goniometric function. Makes sense.

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5
    OK. By the way, is there any difference between goniometric functions and trigonometric functions? or they are just two names of the same thing?

7. Mar 13, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same thing

8. Mar 13, 2017 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not completely fair: a sine is the ratio of the lengths of two sides. One can consider an angle as the ratio of arc length to radius....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted