Why is the domain of ax^(1/3) + b equal to all real numbers?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Domain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
Find the domain.

ax^(1/3) + b

I understand that a and b are constants here. I also know that x^(1/3) is equivalent to cube root{x}.

What I do not understand is why the answer is ALL REAL NUMBERS.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's "all real numbers" because no matter what real value you give x the function returns another real number. Given that a function's domain is defined wherever the function gives a real number for a real number input, ax^(/13) + b has the set $\mathbb{R}$ as its domain, i.e. it is defined for all real x.