1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is the empty set a proper subset of every set?

1. Sep 16, 2016 #1
    I know what a proper subset is, but I never understood why every set has the empty set as its subset?

I mean, is the reasoning something primitive like this: if I have x objects, the number of unordered sets of elements I can make are 2^x, including the case where I throw out x objects and dont make anything of them?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2016 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

S is a subset of A iff all elements of S are elements of A. Since the empty set has no elements, this condition is trivially satisfied: the empty set is a subset of all sets. S is a proper subset of A iff S is a subset of A and S is not equal to A. The empty set is therefore a proper subset of any non-empty set.

4. Sep 16, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The "non-empty" is important here. The empty set is not a proper subset of the empty set. It is still a subset.

5. Sep 16, 2016 #4
    I dont understand why

6. Sep 16, 2016 #5
    A set A is a proper subset of another B set if and only if all elements of A are contained within B, and B has at least one element that is not contained in A.

The ampty set is a proper subset of all sets except itself.

But why?

7. Sep 16, 2016 #6

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are all elements of ##\emptyset## elements of ##A##?

8. Sep 16, 2016 #7
    There is no intersection, it is a disjoing, but A contains as the empty subset as a subset....so there is an intersection? Now i am confused

9. Sep 16, 2016 #8

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's think about it a different way: If, for all ##x \in S##, it's also true that ##x## is an element of ##A##, then ##S \subseteq A##. So now all you have to do is list out all of the ##x \in \emptyset##, and check to make sure that they're all in ##A##.

EDIT: this may require a little knowledge of first-order logic. In symbolic terms, the condition for ##S \subseteq A## is
    $$(S \subseteq A) \leftrightarrow \forall x (x \in S \rightarrow x \in A)$$
    The rule for material implication is that ##p \rightarrow q## is true when ##p## is false, regardless of what ##q## is. So ##x \in \emptyset## is false for all ##x##, which means the condition $$\forall x (x \in S \rightarrow x \in A)$$
    evaluates to
    $$\forall x (F \rightarrow x \in A)$$
    $$\forall x (T)$$
    $$T$$
    where ##F## is "false" and ##T## is "true."

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  10. Sep 16, 2016 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Let's take a different approach: "Every square number between 5 and 7 is odd". Is this statement correct?

"Every element in ∅ is also element of set A". Is this statement correct?
    Same logic.

11. Sep 16, 2016 #10
    All I know about logic is this:

SMl5t4c.png

mISTAKE/typo..UNION Is the OR operator, but yes, this is all I know

12. Sep 16, 2016 #11

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can try a "proof by contradiction" as well (even though this is a definition, not a theorem). Assume that the empty set isn't a subset of ##A##. Then there exists some element of the empty set that is not an element of ##A##. But this is impossible, because the empty set has no elements. So the empty set has to be a subset of ##A##.

13. Sep 16, 2016 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let ##A## be a non-empty set. Can you name me an element of ##\emptyset## that is not in ##A##?

14. Sep 16, 2016 #13
    No, and that is why it must be a subset of A.:oldbiggrin:

15. Sep 16, 2016 #14

mfb

2016 Award

Correct.
    This is not logic. This is about unions and intersections of sets, which do not matter here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted