Why Is the Magnetic Field Uniform in a Non-Coaxial Cylindrical Cavity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
c299792458
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


We are given an infinitely long cylinder of radius b with an empty cylinder (not coaxial) cut out of it, of radius a. The system carries a steady current (direction along the cylinders) of size I. I am trying to find the magnetic field at a point in the hollow. I am told that the answer is that the magnetic field is uniform throughout the cavity. and is proportional to [itex]d\over b^2-a^2[/itex] where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the centers of the cylinders.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have found by using Ampere's law that the magnetic field at a point at distance r from the axis in a cylinder of radius R carrying a steady current, I, is given by [itex]\mu_0 I r\over 2\pi R^2[/itex]. So I thought I would use superposition. But what I get is [itex]{\mu_0 I \sqrt{(x-d)^2+y^2}\over 2\pi b^2}-{\mu_0 I \sqrt{(x)^2+y^2}\over 2\pi a^2}[/itex]. However this is not the given answer!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, but you have to superpose the magnetic field vectors.
 
@M Quack: Thank you. I don't know how to change these into vectors, could you please kindly give me another nudge? Thanks again.
 
The magnetic field generated by a long wire goes right around the wire. So it is perpendicular to the raidal vector.

If the wire is along (0,0,z) and your point at (x,y,z), you know that B_z=0 and that
B is perpendicular to (x,y,0). What vector has these properties?