Why is the s state spherically symmetric?

In summary: This is illustrated in figure 7.3 on page 20 of the referenced document.Furthermore, in the absence of an angular momentum, the electron is said to be in a "ground state," which corresponds to a spherical shape.
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading something about quantum numbers, there the author introduce the quantum number by solving Schrodinger equation for Hydrogen atom. It gives me an example when the principal quantum number n=4, there are four different sub-level ##s, p, d, f##. It also depicts the sublevel for them. It is said that for s state which ##\ell=0##, the shape is something like a completely flattened ellipse going through the nucleus. But since ##\ell=0##, there is no angular momentum, the electron is not "orbiting" anything; hence, it must be totally radially so s state is spherically symmetric.

It is quite confusing for me. Since it is said at the beginning it is flatten ellipse but later becomes spherically symmetric.

reference: http://web.pdx.edu/~pmoeck/lectures/312/chapter 7 part 3.doc
page 3 and page 8

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
It is said that for s state which ##\ell=0##, the shape is something like a completely flattened ellipse going through the nucleus.
Where does your reference say that?
KFC said:
But since ##\ell=0##, there is no angular momentum, the electron is not "orbiting" anything; hence, it must be totally radially so s state is spherically symmetric.
Right. s orbitals are spherically symmetric.

Doc Al said:
Where does your reference say that?

Right. s orbitals are spherically symmetric.

Sorry that I give the wrong reference. I just get it corrected. And in the document given by the link, in page 3, note below the caption of FIGURE 7.3, it is said that "for l=0 we have a completely flattened ellipse that goes through the nucleus, this will be later called an s state."

Those elliptical orbits are remnants of the Bohr-Sommerfeld model of the atom. (Old stuff!) Note the diagram on page 20 of your reference, which shows the s orbitals as spherical.

Likes KFC
Thanks a lot.

KFC said:
Hi there,
I am reading something about quantum numbers, there the author introduce the quantum number by solving Schrodinger equation for Hydrogen atom. It gives me an example when the principal quantum number n=4, there are four different sub-level ##s, p, d, f##. It also depicts the sublevel for them. It is said that for s state which ##\ell=0##, the shape is something like a completely flattened ellipse going through the nucleus. But since ##\ell=0##, there is no angular momentum, the electron is not "orbiting" anything; hence, it must be totally radially so s state is spherically symmetric.

It is quite confusing for me. Since it is said at the beginning it is flatten ellipse but later becomes spherically symmetric.

reference: http://web.pdx.edu/~pmoeck/lectures/312/chapter 7 part 3.doc
page 3 and page 8
According to my prejudices, I always warn against physics manuscripts written with Word. This one cements my prejudice. SCNR.

Classically, an orbit with l=0 corresponds to the electron falling straight on or through the nucleus. Quantum mechanically, the orientation of this line becomes completely undetermined.

Quantum mechanically ##l=0## means that your wave function and thus the probability distribution for the particle's position (and momentum) is spherically symmetric.

1. Why is the s state spherically symmetric?

The s state is spherically symmetric because the electron probability density is distributed evenly in all directions around the nucleus. This is due to the fact that the s orbital has no angular nodes, meaning there are no areas where the electron has a zero probability of being found. As a result, the electron is equally likely to be found at any point on a spherical surface around the nucleus, making the s state spherically symmetric.

2. How does the s state differ from other atomic orbitals?

The s state differs from other atomic orbitals in terms of its shape and energy. The s orbital is spherical in shape, while other orbitals have more complex shapes such as dumbbells and pears. Additionally, the s state has the lowest energy level, meaning electrons are most likely to be found in this orbital closest to the nucleus.

3. What causes the s state to be spherically symmetric?

The spherically symmetric nature of the s state is a result of the quantum mechanical properties of electrons. In quantum mechanics, electrons are described by wavefunctions that determine the probability of finding an electron at a certain position. The lack of angular nodes in the s orbital allows the electron to be equally probable at any point on a spherical surface around the nucleus, resulting in spherically symmetric behavior.

4. Can the s state be found in all elements?

Yes, the s state can be found in all elements. All atoms have at least one s orbital, with the number increasing with the atomic number. The s orbital is the first orbital to be filled in an atom's electron configuration, and it plays a crucial role in the chemical properties of elements.

5. How does the s state contribute to the stability of an atom?

The s state contributes to the stability of an atom by allowing the electrons to be closer to the positively charged nucleus. This results in a stronger attraction between the electrons and the nucleus, which helps hold the atom together. Additionally, the s orbital is the first to be filled in an atom's electron configuration, with subsequent orbitals being filled in order of increasing energy, contributing to the overall stability of the atom.