Why is the union of topologies a subbase for their least upper bound?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter symbol0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bound Upper bound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
symbol0
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
I read the following:
"If {[tex]T_i[/tex]} is a non empty family of topologies on our set X, then the least upper bound of this family is precisely the topology generated by the class [tex]\bigcup T_i[/tex]; that is, the class [tex]\bigcup T_i[/tex] is an open subbase for the least upper bound of the family {[tex]T_i[/tex]} ."

I understand that the least upper bound L of a family of topologies is the intersection of all topologies which are stronger than each [tex]T_i[/tex] but I don't understand why [tex]\bigcup T_i[/tex] is a subbase for L.
 
Physics news on Phys.org