1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that an upper bound a is the least upper bound

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be a non-empty subset of R (real numbers) and a an upper bound in R for A. Suppose that every open interval I containing a intersects A (so the intersection is non-empty). Show that a is a least upper bound for A.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've seen the prettier proof which involved a contradiction, but just wanted to know if my rather non-rigorous argument makes sense, and if it can be made more precise:

Let b=sup(A). Let an interval I=(x,y) satisfy the above (contains a, intersects A). If we take the limit as y approaches b, then a must approach b=sup(A) and so since the limit of this I is just another open interval, and a=sup(A) in this limit, then a=sup(A).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would suggest you stick with the pretty proof. 'a' is supposed to be a fixed upper bound. Talking about it 'approaching' something really doesn't make any sense.

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3
    I don't think you can take the limit as y approaches b because how do you know that (x, y) would still contain a? what if b < a and then as you take y closer and closer to b, there's a point where the interval doesn't contain a anymore.

5. Mar 3, 2014 #4
    Yeah I guess I assumed a to be in the interval not matter how you took I, as long as it intersected with A (so not some fixed a).

Anyway, is this correct? I didn't write down it down but I remember the idea went like this:

6. Mar 3, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's the right idea, but I'd want to see how you construct the interval I (or why it exists).

7. Mar 3, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And I'd want you to say exactly why the existence of the open interval contradicts a being a least upper bound.

8. Mar 4, 2014 #7
    @micromass: Hmm...I'm not sure of a rigorous justification, but I would say because if there are an 'infinite' number of real numbers between a and sup(A) if a is not sup(A), it's possible to construct an open interval around it. *

@Dick: Contradicts a being a least upper bound? Do you mean a not being a least upper bound? It contradicts the assumption because we've assumed that every open interval I containing also intersects with A. Assuming a is not sup(A), then the construction of an open interval I around it such that I does not intersect with A leads to a contradiction, therefore a must be sup(A).

*I've also been thinking about how to show that if a=sup(A), then it's not possible to have an open interval I containing a, NOT intersect with A (i.e. if it contains a=sup(A), it must intersect with A).
    I think the case if a is in A is 'trivial' as they say, but I'm unsure as to how to make rigorous the argument for the case where a is not in A.

9. Mar 5, 2014 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If ##\textrm{sup}(A)<a##, then think about an interval centered at ##a## with radius ##(a-\textrm{sup}(A))/2##.

That's not really needed for the proof here. But you should proceed by contradiction. Assume there is an open interval ##(a-\varepsilon,a+\varepsilon)## that contains no elements of ##A##. Prove that ##a-\varepsilon## is an upper bound.

10. Mar 8, 2014 #9
    Hmm...here's an attempt:

If [itex]a>sup(A)[/itex], then [itex]a-sup(A)>0[/itex]. Let the the interval I be, for some ε>0 [itex]I=(a-\frac{a-sup(A)}{2}, a+\epsilon)=(\frac{a+sup(A)}{2} a+\epsilon[/itex].

Yeah, it was just out of curiosity :p
    Still working on it though, I think I've got the idea but just refining it.

11. Mar 8, 2014 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's probably obvious to you, but you also need to prove this doesn't intersect ##A##.

12. Mar 17, 2014 #11
    Sorry for the delayed response, had - still have lots assessable work to do (procrastinating on that!).

Anyway, is it correct to say that since [itex]inf(I)=\frac{a+sup(A)}{2}>sup(A)[/itex], then I doesn't intersect with A?

And for the other part (show if a=sup(A) is in an open interval I, I must intersect with A).

Suppose a=sup(A) and that there exists an open interval I containing sup(A) that does not intersect with A. Let I=(sup(A)-ε, sup(A)+ε). Since the intersection of I and A is the null set, this implies sup(A)-ε is an upper bound for A which contradicts a=sup(A).

Or I think I could explain further and get a different contradiction: I not intersecting A implies sup(A)-ε is an upperbound because if it weren't, then there would be some element from A greater than sup(A)-ε and less than sup(A), i.e. in I, which would contradict the assumption that I does not intersect A.

13. Mar 17, 2014 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Seems ok to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted