1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis Least Upper Bound Question

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If S1, S2 are nonempty subsets of ℝ that are bounded from above, prove that

l.u.b. {x+y : x \in S1, y \in S2 } = l.u.b. S1 + l.u.b. S2
    2. Relevant equations

Least Upper Bound Property

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the least upper bound property, let us suppose that a is an upper bound for S1 and b is an upper bound for S2, as they are both a set of real numbers. Then there exists an x in S1 s.t. x≤a and there exists a y in S2 s.t. y≤b. By adding them together, x+y≤a+b where a and b are the upper bounds for their respected set of real numbers. Thus, it is equal to l.u.b. S1 + l.u.b. S2

I think this is how it goes. I'm sorry if my proof is horrible; it has been a significant period of time since I've done proofs, as statistics and probability classes don't use proofs! Also, I can't get \in to work. Sorry about that!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All that you have shown thus far is that if [itex]x \in S_1[/itex] and [itex]y \in S_2[/itex], then [itex]x + y \leq lub(S_1) + lub(S_2)[/itex].

This implies that [itex]lub(x + y : x\in S_1, y\in S_2) \leq lub(S_1) + lub(S_2)[/itex].

However, you still have to prove the opposite inequality.

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    Wait, sorry if I don't understand. Are you saying I have to prove the inequality when instead of it being ≤, I prove ≥?

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. If your goal is to prove that A = B, and you have only proved A <= B, then you also need to show that A >= B before you can conclude that A = B.

6. Sep 12, 2012 #5
    ...oh. WELL, excuse me while I think about this some more and get back to you. Haha.

7. Sep 12, 2012 #6
    So let me get this straight. I now have to prove that x ≥ a in S1 and y ≥ b in S2. BUT, isn't that a contradiction? If you add them, you get x+y≥a+b, but if the elements of x, y in their respective sets are greater than the l.u.b., then a and b are not the l.u.b.

I don't quite understand. Perhaps you can guide me in the right direction. Much thanks.

-J

8. Sep 13, 2012 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you have to show that [itex]lub(x + y : x \in S_1, y \in S_2) \geq lub(S_1) + lub(S_2)[/itex]

I'm going to introduce some shorthand so it's easier to type:

a = lub(S_1)
    b = lub(S_2)
    c = lub(x+y : x in S_1, y in S_2)

If there were specific elements x in S_1 and y in S_2 such that x + y >= a + b, then you'd be done, because x + y <= c. But there might not be such elements. In fact, if there were, then you would have x = a and y = b. Thus each of the two sets S_1 and S_2 would contain its supremum. This is not guaranteed.

However, if you let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], can you find x in S_1 and y in S_2 such that [itex]x > a - \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]y > b - \epsilon[/itex]? i.e. you might not be able to find elements that achieve the upper bound, but can you get them arbitrarily close? If so, what can you do with that?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook