Why is the wave point moving in direction B instead of D?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cici2017
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Direction Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Cici2017

Homework Statement


Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 5.47.16 pm.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


the point is going down the wave, so shouldn't the answer be D? Why is it B? Thank you! [/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the wave crests, they are moving to the right. What happens "next" at that point depends on what is just to the left of the point.

PS The point doesn't move down the wave. The wave moves past the point.
 
CWatters said:
What happens "next" at that point depends on what is just to the left of the point.

Can you please explain this more? I don't get it ~ Thank you!
 
Try this...
Print out the drawing.
Draw the wave shifted to the right about 1/4" or 5mm.
Mark on it the new position of the point
If possible post your sketch here.
 
CWatters said:
Try this...
Print out the drawing.
Draw the wave shifted to the right about 1/4" or 5mm.
Mark on it the new position of the point
If possible post your sketch here.
ahh~ I think I got it. the new position of the point is higher than the old position, so the direction is up. Am I right?