Why is there a sin^2(theta) factor in the diatomic molecule Hamiltonian?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Andurien
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have to find the hamiltonian for a diatomic molecule, where the molecule can only rotate and translate and we supose that potencial energy doesn't change.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Okey so I used Spherical coordinate system such as the kinetic energy of the molecule is
[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}(m\dot{r}^2+I(\dot{\phi}^2+I(\dot{θ})^2)=L[/tex]

To find the Hamiltonian I've considered:

[tex]P_r=m\dot{r} \Rightarrow \dot{r}=\frac{P_r}{m}[/tex]

And so on for the other momentum so the final solution for the hamiltonian is:

[tex]H=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{P_r^2}{m}+\frac{P_\phi^2}{I}+ \frac{P_θ^2}{I})[/tex]

BUT the correct solution given by my professor is:
[tex]H=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{P_r^2}{m}+\frac{P_\phi^2}{I \sin^2\theta}+ \frac{P_θ^2}{I})[/tex]

So I don't know why is there a sin^2\theta factor.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andurien said:
Okey so I used Spherical coordinate system such as the kinetic energy of the molecule is
[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}(m\dot{r}^2+I(\dot{\phi}^2+I(\dot{θ})^2)=L[/tex]
The problem lies in where you started. How'd you come up with this?
 
Yep I already solved the problem. You were right Vela i started wrong. I divided the Hamiltonian between the lagrangian for the translation kinetic energy and the rotation kinetic energy so:
[tex]T_t=\frac{1}{2}M(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2)= \frac{1}{2M} (P_x^2+P_y^2+P_z^2)[/tex]

And then the rotation one:
[tex]T_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}Mr^2[\dot{\theta^2}+\dot{\phi}^2\sin^2(\theta)][/tex]

And then just like before i get the hamiltonian.

Thank you for the response and sorry for my english ;)