Plane pendulum: Lagrangian, Hamiltonian and energy conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian for a system with two degrees of freedom. The individual has solved the problem and has found that the Hamiltonian is incorrect due to the inclusion of a term involving the time-dependent variable s. It is then explained that s is not a degree of freedom and should not be included in the Lagrangian or Hamiltonian. The correct Hamiltonian is derived and compared to the total energy, showing that energy is not conserved in the system.
hicetnunc
Homework Statement
Consider a plane pendulum of mass m and string length s. After the pendulum is set into motion, the length of the string is shortened at a constant rate. The suspension point remains fixed. Compute the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian functions. Is energy conserved?
Relevant Equations
Equation for the Hamiltonian
Hello!

I need some help with this problem. I've solved most of it, but I need some help with the Hamiltonian. I will run through the problem as I've solved it, but it's the Hamiltonian at the end that gives me trouble.

pendulum.png

To find the Lagrangian, start by finding the x- and y-positions of the mass and their velocities (keeping in mind that s is not constant):
\begin{align*}
x=&s\sin(\theta)\\
y=&s\cos(\theta)\\
\\
\dot{x}=&\dot{s}\sin(\theta)+s\dot{\theta}\cos{\theta}\\
\dot{y}=&\dot{s}\cos(\theta)-s\dot{\theta}\sin{\theta}
\end{align*}
Then, the kinetic and potential energies of the system are
\begin{align*}
T=&\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{s}^2+s^2\dot{\theta}^2)\\
U=&-mgs\cos{\theta}
\end{align*}
and the Lagrangian will be
\begin{align*}
L=T-U=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{s}^2+s^2\dot{\theta}^2)+mgs\cos{\theta}
\end{align*}
So far, so good. My solution agrees with the answer sheet I have. But, to calculate the Hamiltonian I use the equations
\begin{align*}
H=&\sum_{v}p_v\dot{q}_v-L\\
p_v=&\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_v}
\end{align*}
where the factors in the sum are the generalized momentum and generalized coordinates, respectively. From this, I get the equation
\begin{align*}
H=&\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}\dot{\theta}+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{s}}\dot{s}-L\\
=&\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{s}^2+s^2\dot{\theta}^2)-mgs\cos{\theta}
\end{align*}
But this expression for the Hamiltonian is wrong! After some troubleshooting I find that if I drop the term
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{s}}\dot{s}
\end{align*}
from the Hamiltonian, I get the correct answer. But why? The system needs both the coordinates theta and s to define it. Looking further at energy conservation of the system I see that in my (incorrect) solution, the Hamiltonian is expressable by T+U, and therefore energy would be conserved. But I can reason that this shouldn't be the case: Consider a small (negligible) initial angle theta and large initial string length s. Then, as time progresses, T won't change by much, but U will. Thus energy is not conserved (the answer sheet gives the reason that work is performed on the system). Why shouldn't the term above be included in the Hamiltonian?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think ##s## is a degree of freedom. You don't have to determine its motion since it's already given to you. It says shortened at a constant rate so it's something like ##s \sim \alpha t##. And because you don't have to determine its motion it should not be an independent variable in your Lagrangian or Hamiltonian. This is why you emit the ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{s}} \dot{s}## term.That's my take on it.

You just have to be mindful at the end of everything ## s = - \alpha t## and it's not constant (however ##\dot{s}## is).

Last edited:
Likes hicetnunc
Actually it should be included in your Lagrangian as ##s = - \alpha t##.

But you don't have to take derivatives with respect to it since it's already constrained as given to you.

Likes hicetnunc
PhDeezNutz said:
Actually it should be included in your Lagrangian as ##s = - \alpha t##.

But you don't have to take derivatives with respect to it since it's already constrained as given to you.
Ok, so using ##s = -\alpha t## to rewrite the Lagrangian as ##L = \frac{1}{2} m(\alpha^2 + \alpha^2 t^2 \dot{\theta}^2)## makes ##s## disappear from the equation and makes it only dependent on time and ##\dot{\theta}##. And then ##\theta## becomes the only coordinate to use in the equation for the Hamiltonian.

Great! Thanks a lot!

Also, thanks for showing me how to insert latex notation inside text. Couldn't figure that out while writing the post. :)

Likes PhDeezNutz
If it's any consolation I messed up on this question about a few years back in class. My professor asked "how many degrees of freedom this does this system have?" for the very same problem you presented in the OP. I naively also thought it was two degrees of freedom.

Keep doing the problem and show us what you get. Keep in mind when calculating the Hamiltonian that the Hamiltonian is not a function of ##q## and ##\dot{q}## it's a function of ##q## and ##p## so you once you compute it it in ##q## and ##\dot{q}## you have to convert.

• Haha
Likes hicetnunc
PhDeezNutz said:
Keep doing the problem and show us what you get. Keep in mind when calculating the Hamiltonian that the Hamiltonian is not a function of ##q## and ##\dot{q}## it's a function of ##q## and ##p## so you once you compute it it in ##q## and ##\dot{q}## you have to convert.
Alright, here goes. To recap: ##s = -\alpha t##, giving ##L = \frac{1}{2} m (\alpha^2 + \alpha^2 t^2 \dot{\theta}^2) - m g \alpha t \cos{\theta}##. Then the Hamiltonian becomes:
\begin{align*}
H =&\ \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}} \dot{\theta} - L\\
=&\ m \alpha^2 t^2 \dot{\theta}^2 - \frac{1}{2} m (\alpha^2 + \alpha^2 t^2 \dot{\theta}^2) + m g \alpha t \cos{\theta}\\
=&\ \frac{1}{2} m \alpha^2 t^2 \dot{\theta}^2 - \frac{1}{2} m \alpha^2 + m g \alpha t \cos{\theta}
\end{align*}
Considering that ##p_\theta = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}} = m \alpha^2 t^2 \dot{\theta}##, ##H## can be rewritten as
\begin{align*}
H =&\ \frac{p_\theta^2}{2 m \alpha^2 t^2} - \frac{1}{2} m \alpha^2 + m g \alpha t \cos{\theta}\\
=&\ \frac{p_\theta^2}{2 m s^2} - \frac{1}{2} m \alpha^2 -m g s \cos{\theta}
\end{align*}
and this agrees with my answer sheet (last expression with ##s## is the actual answer given). Comparing with the total energy:
\begin{align*}
T+U =&\ \frac{1}{2} m (\alpha^2 + \alpha^2 t^2 \dot{\theta}^2) + m g \alpha t \cos{\theta}\\
=&\ \frac{p_\theta^2}{2 m s^2} + \frac{1}{2} m \alpha^2 - m g s \cos{\theta}
\end{align*}
and total energy is not conserved, as should be.

Did an oopsie and posted mid-edit, oh well.

Thanks for all the help!

Likes PhDeezNutz
That looks good to me!

Likes hicetnunc

1. What is a plane pendulum?

A plane pendulum is a simple mechanical system that consists of a mass (bob) attached to a pivot point by a massless rod or wire. The bob is allowed to swing freely in a vertical plane under the influence of gravity.

2. What is the Lagrangian of a plane pendulum?

The Lagrangian of a plane pendulum is a mathematical function that describes the energy of the system in terms of the position and velocity of the bob. It is given by L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy.

3. How is the Hamiltonian of a plane pendulum related to the Lagrangian?

The Hamiltonian of a plane pendulum is another mathematical function that describes the energy of the system. It is related to the Lagrangian through the Hamiltonian equations, which are a set of equations that describe the dynamics of the system.

4. What is energy conservation in a plane pendulum?

Energy conservation in a plane pendulum refers to the principle that the total energy of the system (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant over time. This is due to the fact that the system is isolated and there are no external forces acting on it.

5. How does the length of the pendulum affect its Lagrangian and Hamiltonian?

The length of the pendulum affects the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian by changing the potential energy term. As the length increases, the potential energy also increases, resulting in a higher total energy for the system. This, in turn, affects the dynamics of the pendulum and its motion.