Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is there limit on number of records displayed in search results ?

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1
    Hello

I have found that whenever I search for some posts ,the maximum number of records displayed is 250 .What if I want to access all the records with the specified search criteria .

For example ,I would like to access all the posts by some specific mentor or homework helper on a particular topic .If I make the search,the number of records displayed is 250.

I am really getting benefitted by physicsforums and posts by some mentors are absolutely wonderful,full of insight .

Is there some way around to access more records.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Long searches put too much stress on the server.

You can always use Google adding command site:physicsforums.com to your search, to limit results to PF.

4. Jun 7, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Things you can try:
    1) add more search terms to make the search more specific
    2) search for specific time ranges only
    3) search for threads with less than / more than some number of replies.

The combination of (2) and (3) gives at least 4 mutually exclusive searches, so you can see at least 1000 results.

5. Jun 7, 2013 #4
    I limited the search results a few months ago when we were having database trouble. I will return it to the default 500.

I would try both the suggestions from Borek and mfb.

6. Jun 10, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much !!!

Amazing response .Thanks a lot.I am pleasantly surprised by such a positive response.

Can we have a datepicker facility in the searches where one can simply enter starting date and ending dates and results between those specified dates can be displayed .Of course the number of records displayed can be limited to 500 ,in case they exceed it .But what this can do is without putting load on the server all the threads on some particular search criteria between specified dates can be displayed .

My heartfelt thanks on increasing the search results to 500 .Brilliant work :biggrin:

7. Jun 13, 2013 #6
    Hi Greg

Do you think implementing a datepicker facility in the search menu a feasible option ?

Here one can simply enter starting date and ending dates and results between those specified dates can be displayed .The number of records displayed can be limited to 500 ,in case they exceed it .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook