Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is there no atmosphere on moon

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    why is there no atmosphere on moon

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2
    Re: moon

When compared to a planet like the earth the moons gravitational pull is very much weaker and if any atmospheric molecules form the tendency is for them to escape.Also there is very little geological or other activity to replenish any atmosphere.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  4. Jun 9, 2009 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I can't recall where but I remember reading that because the moon's atmosphere is so ridiculously thin and negligible, the apollo missions significantly altered the composition of any atmosphere that already existed.

5. Jun 9, 2009 #4

If I remember correctly, the apollo suits vented gas to cool the astronauts in the absence of atmosphere.

6. Jun 9, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Additionally, lacking a magnetosphere, gaseous atoms are not protected from the solar wind blasting them into the solar system.

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6

What is solar wind?

8. Jun 11, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A stream of sub-atomic particles (mostly protons) from the sun that stream out through the solar system.
    On Earth the are mostly trapped by the magnetic field, some of them get through to the upper atmosphere at the north and south poles to give you the Norther Lights.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook