Why is there no proton degeneracy pressure?

In summary, under extreme pressure, electrons and protons are forced together to produce neutrons in large bodies of matter. This means that by the time degeneracy pressure would become significant for protons, there are no longer any protons left, only neutrons. While theoretically a degeneracy pressure for protons exists, it is practically impossible to observe because of the difficulty in assembling a large enough number of protons without including any electrons.
Pedro de la Torre
Hello. I usually heard about electron degeneracy pressure and neutron degeneracy pressure. But I´ve never heard about a proton degeneracy pressure.
Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Large bodies of matter contain roughly equal amounts of electrons and protons. Under extreme pressure these are forced together to produce neutrons, so by the time that degeneracy pressure would matter for the protons there aren't any protons left, just neutrons.

Likes Demystifier and Pedro de la Torre
Yes, I can understand that.
What I mean, I have calculated a degeneracy pressure for electrons when a White dwarf is forming. I calculated a degeneracy pressure for neutrons when a Neutron star is going to form. But I have never heard about such pressure for protons.
Does a degeneracy pressure for protons exist? I suppose yes, but I do not know why I have never heard about an explanation of this.

Pedro de la Torre said:
Does a degeneracy pressure for protons exist?

Yes, theoretically speaking. But practically speaking, it never gets observed, because, as @Nugatory said, at the densities where it would become significant, protons and electrons are forced together to form neutrons.

In other words, theoretically, if you could assemble, say, ##10^{60}## protons into a compact object like a neutron star, without including any electrons, then yes, the structure of that object would be significantly affected by proton degeneracy pressure. But assembling such an object is impossible in any practical sense, because the protons would repel each other electrically and you would never be able to push them together into a compact enough object in the first place. Neutron stars are able to form because the objects they form from, ordinary stars that go supernova, are electrically neutral--they contain equal numbers of protons and electrons. That is what allows them to get compressed to the point where degeneracy pressure starts to matter--but, as above, by the time proton degeneracy pressure would start to matter, the protons and electrons have all been forced together to form neutrons.

(I have not done the math, but I am skeptical that such a compact "proton star" would be stable even if you could assemble it; I don't think its gravity would be sufficient to hold it together for any long period of time against the combined effects of proton degeneracy pressure and the electrical repulsion between the protons.)

Likes Pedro de la Torre
Aah. Great! Thank you very much!

1. Why do protons not experience degeneracy pressure like electrons do?

The reason for this is because protons are significantly larger and heavier than electrons, which means they have a larger volume and occupy more space. This reduces the effects of degeneracy pressure, which is a result of the Pauli exclusion principle.

2. How does the size of a particle affect its degeneracy pressure?

The size of a particle is directly related to its degeneracy pressure. Smaller particles, such as electrons, experience stronger degeneracy pressure due to their smaller size and higher energy levels. Larger particles, like protons, do not experience as much degeneracy pressure due to their larger size and lower energy levels.

3. What is the main factor that determines whether a particle experiences degeneracy pressure?

The main factor that determines whether a particle experiences degeneracy pressure is its mass. Particles with smaller masses, such as electrons, experience stronger degeneracy pressure due to their higher energy levels. Particles with larger masses, like protons, do not experience as much degeneracy pressure due to their lower energy levels.

4. Why is degeneracy pressure important for understanding the behavior of particles?

Degeneracy pressure is important because it is a fundamental force that governs the behavior of particles, particularly in extreme conditions such as in white dwarfs and neutron stars. Understanding degeneracy pressure helps us understand the properties and behavior of matter in these extreme environments.

5. Can degeneracy pressure be overcome or canceled out?

Degeneracy pressure cannot be overcome or canceled out. It is a fundamental force that exists due to the Pauli exclusion principle, and it is always present as long as there are particles present. However, in certain extreme conditions, such as in neutron stars, other forces may become dominant and overpower degeneracy pressure.