Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why isn't the Pauli equation equivalent to the Schrodinger equation?

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1
    The Pauli equation (seen here) contains its spin dependence in the term which reads

[tex]\frac{1}{2m}\left[ \sigma\cdot\left(p-\frac{e}{c}A\right)\right]^2[/tex]

So let B be any vector. Then

[tex]\left( \sigma\cdot B\right)^2[/tex]
    [tex]=\left(\sigma_1 B_1 +\sigma_2 B_2 + \sigma_3 B_3\right)\left(\sigma_1 B_1 +\sigma_2 B_2 + \sigma_3 B_3\right)[/tex]
    [tex]=\sigma_1^2 B_1^2 +\sigma_2^2 B_2^2+\sigma_3^2 B_3^2 + (\sigma_1\sigma_2+\sigma_2\sigma_1)B_1 B_2 + (\sigma_1\sigma_3+\sigma_3\sigma_1)B_1 B_3 + (\sigma_3\sigma_2+\sigma_2\sigma_3)B_3 B_2[/tex]
    [tex]=1\cdot B_1^2 + 1\cdot B_2^2 + 1\cdot B_3^2 + 0 + 0 +0[/tex]
    [tex]=B^2[/tex]

So isn't the sigma-dependent term in the Pauli equation identically equal to

[tex]\frac{1}{2m}\left(p-\frac{e}{c}A\right)^2[/tex]

?

if yes, then in what sense is it spin-dependent? If no, then where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2010 #2
    I have only briefly looked at your calculation and it looks correct, but I don't think you are calculating what you really want. (By the way, I assume that the identity matrix is implied in your notation.)

Try to do the same, but now assume that B is a vector operator. So in general [tex]\sigma_1\sigma_2B_1B_2 + \sigma_2\sigma_1B_2B_1 \neq (\sigma_1\sigma_2 + \sigma_2\sigma_1)B_1B_2[/tex], since you don't always have [tex][B_1,B_2] = 0[/tex].

4. Jun 2, 2010 #3
    Thanks, element4. I get it now. The momentum operator and the EM potential do not commute since the latter is a function of position, so the B^2 terms in my derivation are not so simple. Haven't worked it out yet, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

5. Jun 3, 2010 #4
    Ok. So I worked through it and have one more nagging question. The final form I get is

[tex]\left\{\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)^2-\frac{e\hbar}{2mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{B}+e\Phi-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right\}\Psi-\frac{e\hbar}{mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\left(\vec{A}\times\nabla\right)\Psi=0[/tex]

The part in the braces is familiar and can also be seen on the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_equation#Special_Cases What about the last term? Is it something typically neglected? Why? Or did I screw up the derivation?

6. Jun 3, 2010 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The correct result is not AXdel. It should be curl A, which equals B because the curl does not act on psi. This just gives -mu.B, the interaction of the electron magnetic moment with B. This result also derives the g=2 for electron magnetic moment. Be more careful with the combination -[del.A + A.del]psi.

7. Jun 3, 2010 #6
    Thanks, Meir Achuz. But the term containing

[tex]\frac{1}{2m}\left[ \sigma\cdot\left(p-\frac{e}{c}A\right)\right]^2[/tex]

when expanded results in both [tex]A\times\nabla[/tex] and [tex]\nabla\times A[/tex] terms (I think). I have the [tex]\nabla\times A[/tex] covered above in the term containing B. But I don't know what to do with the [tex]A\times\nabla[/tex] term

8. Jun 7, 2010 #7
    Bump.

Just one little bump.

9. Sep 15, 2010 #8
    I did not work this through, but I think the del X A term does not equal B. It's the same way with [P, X] = (d/dx)*x - x*(d/dx) != 1 - x*(d/dx).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  10. Sep 17, 2010 #9
    thank you for your reply, yangjong. And welcome to the board!

I think what you are suggesting is that when I see [tex]\nabla\times A[/tex] I should not read this as "multiply by B" but rather consider it an operator: when acting on a function [tex]\Psi[/tex] it yields [tex]\nabla\times (A\Psi)[/tex].

That is, where I wrote

[tex]\left\{\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)^2-\frac{e\hbar}{2mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{B}+e\Phi \Psi -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right\}\Psi-\frac{e\hbar}{mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\left(\vec{A}\times\nabla\right)\Psi=0[/tex]

above, it should be instead

[tex]\left\{\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)^2\Psi-\frac{e\hbar}{2mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\left(\nabla\times [\vec{A}\Psi]\right)+e\Phi\Psi -i\hbar\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t}\right\}-\frac{e\hbar}{mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\left(\vec{A}\times\nabla\right)\Psi=0[/tex]

[tex]\left\{\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)^2\Psi-\frac{e\hbar}{2mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\left(\nabla\Psi\times \vec{A} +\Psi\nabla\times \vec{A}\right)+e\Phi\Psi -i\hbar\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t}\right\}-\frac{e\hbar}{mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\left(\vec{A}\times\nabla\right)\Psi=0[/tex]

[tex]\left\{\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)^2\Psi-\frac{e\hbar}{2mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\left(\Psi\nabla\times \vec{A}\right)+e\Phi\Psi -i\hbar\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t}\right\}=0[/tex]

[tex]\left\{\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)^2-\frac{e\hbar}{2mc}\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{B}+e\Phi-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right\}\Psi =0[/tex]

That's it. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook