Why do changing magnetic fields produce electric fields?

In summary, Zahid Iftikhar asked why charges get separated in a changing magnetic field over in the EE forum. I pointed him to Maxwell's equations and also pointed out we took them to be observational and axiomatic. Yet it occurred to me there might be an reason in quantum probability. So is there a reason a time varying magnetic field produces an electric field and vice versa? (Of course I understand that any quantum explanation will also be predicated on observation, so it's at best part of the answer, but I'm curious. It's one of my vices.)The relationship between electric and magnetic fields is more to do with special relativity. It all comes down to the 4-vector potential ##A_{\
Jeff Rosenbury
Zahid Iftikhar asked why charges get separated in a changing magnetic field over in the EE forum. I pointed him to Maxwell's equations and also pointed out we took them to be observational and axiomatic.

Yet it occurred to me there might be an reason in quantum probability.

So is there a reason a time varying magnetic field produces an electric field and vice versa? (Of course I understand that any quantum explanation will also be predicated on observation, so it's at best part of the answer, but I'm curious. It's one of my vices.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, bhobba and Jeff Rosenbury
By assuming that a particle's quantum field has U(1) gauge symmetry, one can derive Maxwell's equations in their QED formulation. Try a Google search for "u(1) gauge symmetry maxwell's equations" to turn up some information... I'm in a bit of a hurry right now.

Of course, this begs the question, "why do quantum fields have U(1) gauge symmetry?" :olduhh: Maybe a turtle somewhere knows...

Likes bhobba and Jeff Rosenbury
jtbell said:
By assuming that a particle's quantum field has U(1) gauge symmetry, one can derive Maxwell's equations in their QED formulation. Try a Google search for "u(1) gauge symmetry maxwell's equations" to turn up some information... I'm in a bit of a hurry right now.

Of course, this begs the question, "why do quantum fields have U(1) gauge symmetry?" :olduhh:

Possibly you can do that with one or two more assumptions. For example, the assumptions that the field for the photon is a vector of spin 1, and that it sits in the spin rep corresponding to the usual ##F_{\mu\nu}##. That would tell you that there is only one way that classical E&M could be quantized.

Historically it went the other way. The fields present in classical E&M were "turned into operators" to get a QM form of a field. With just a few little "tweaks" like making the matter fields spinors.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Jeff, I follow your link over to here to see what is going on - I have never considered this to be QP -- in general the electrons are always moving (in orbit / cloud) around the atom / molecule. As such it still obeys Lenz and creates a Mag Field - the so as the general mag field near an electron changes it disrupts the electron with enough energy to separate from it's atom molecule ( the motion of the electron now will try to counter act the mag filed allied to it). Same as an electron beam is bent by a magnetic field ( there the electron can be moving though a fixed field).

So the QP question really would be is WHY is there Lenz Law - for this there may be a valid question. But I believe that is much more advanced than Zahid's original post - which I read as how does the changing magnetic field separate charge - which I took as separate an electron from it's atom, to that simply because a force is applied to it according to Lenz law, derived from Maxwels, and then beyond that may be a good QP. As Prof Lewin indicates this is similar to the force applied to an electron in an E field.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Windadct, I assumed he was asking about a generator winding. But I decided to follow up on the more general question and I'm glad I did.

I'm sure prof. Lewin's lecture is great, but I have limited bandwidth, so can't watch it now. (@#$%^&* satellite connection.)

You are right that this is advanced stuff for us EEs. It's just at the edge of my learning envelope. For example, until today I thought all gauge groups were the same as U(1) groups and didn't have any of the words. I knew about quaternions, but I hadn't made the connection. At my advanced age, learning the vocabulary is maybe the hardest part.

I learned a lot. Thanks to everyone who responded.

1. Why are Maxwell's Equations important in physics?

Maxwell's Equations are important in physics because they provide a unified description of the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism. They explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other and with charged particles. These equations have been verified by numerous experiments and are used in a wide range of applications, from designing electronic devices to understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the history behind Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations were developed by the Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. He combined the work of earlier physicists, such as Coulomb, Gauss, and Ampere, to create a set of equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Maxwell also predicted the existence of electromagnetic waves, which were later confirmed by the experiments of Hertz and others.

3. How do Maxwell's Equations relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically his theory of special relativity, showed that electric and magnetic fields are actually two aspects of the same phenomenon - the electromagnetic field. This is consistent with Maxwell's Equations, which describe how electric and magnetic fields are related and how they can be transformed into each other. Einstein's theory of general relativity also showed that these equations apply to all frames of reference, regardless of their motion.

4. Can Maxwell's Equations be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, Maxwell's Equations can be applied to other areas of science, such as optics and quantum mechanics. In optics, the equations are used to describe the behavior of light and how it interacts with matter. In quantum mechanics, the equations are used to describe the behavior of particles with spin and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.

5. Are Maxwell's Equations still relevant today?

Yes, Maxwell's Equations are still relevant today and are considered one of the most important achievements in the history of physics. They are used in many practical applications, such as designing electronic devices and communication systems. They also play a crucial role in modern theories of physics, such as quantum electrodynamics, which describes the interactions between particles and electromagnetic fields.