1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why my synchronous counter toggling between two numbers?

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1
    EDIT: SOLVED

I designed a bi-directional synchronous counter with the sequence 7 4 6 5 2 1. The up count counts correctly (ie 7 4 6 5 2 1) but when I flick the switch to reverse it it counts backwards correctly initially until it reaches 5, and then it goes back to 2 and then back to 5 and continues to toggle between the two numbers. I have gone over my k-maps etc time and time again and I can't find any design problem. This happens both with my real life circuit and the one I simulated in Multisim. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Link to multisim file (if anyone wants to view it, press space to reverse count direction):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ophqq0kgli826d/projectd2checkretryk2v2.ms13?dl=0

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2
    Don't have multi-sim sadly.

However based on the behavior you posted its likely that when the current state is 5, its treating both counting forward and backwards as counting forward.
    Double check everything around that :)

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3
    Thank you I have solved this particular problem, turns out there was a small problem with my JK terms

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted