Why my synchronous counter toggling between two numbers?

In summary, a user designed a bi-directional synchronous counter with the sequence 7 4 6 5 2 1, but encountered an issue where the counter would toggle between 2 and 5 when counting backwards. The user checked their k-maps and found no design problems, and this issue occurred both in real life and in a simulation. After receiving a suggestion to double check everything around the state 5, the user found and fixed a small problem with their JK terms.
Nieldw
EDIT: SOLVED

I designed a bi-directional synchronous counter with the sequence 7 4 6 5 2 1. The up count counts correctly (ie 7 4 6 5 2 1) but when I flick the switch to reverse it it counts backwards correctly initially until it reaches 5, and then it goes back to 2 and then back to 5 and continues to toggle between the two numbers. I have gone over my k-maps etc time and time again and I can't find any design problem. This happens both with my real life circuit and the one I simulated in Multisim. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Link to multisim file (if anyone wants to view it, press space to reverse count direction):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ophqq0kgli826d/projectd2checkretryk2v2.ms13?dl=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't have multi-sim sadly.

However based on the behavior you posted its likely that when the current state is 5, its treating both counting forward and backwards as counting forward.
Double check everything around that :)

cpscdave said:
Don't have multi-sim sadly.

However based on the behavior you posted its likely that when the current state is 5, its treating both counting forward and backwards as counting forward.
Double check everything around that :)

Thank you I have solved this particular problem, turns out there was a small problem with my JK terms

1. Why is my synchronous counter toggling between two numbers?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that there is a problem with the clock signal, causing the counter to toggle between two states instead of incrementing. Another possibility is that there is a glitch in the logic circuitry, causing the counter to get stuck in a loop between two states. It could also be due to incorrect wiring or a faulty component.

2. How can I fix my synchronous counter from toggling between two numbers?

The first step would be to check the clock signal to ensure that it is stable and not causing the counter to toggle. If the clock signal is fine, then you should check the logic circuitry and make sure it is properly designed and wired. If there are any faulty components, they should be replaced. It is also a good idea to double check the circuit design to ensure it is correct.

3. Can a faulty clock signal cause a synchronous counter to toggle between two numbers?

Yes, a faulty clock signal can cause a synchronous counter to toggle between two numbers. The clock signal is responsible for triggering the counter to increment, and if it is unstable or not functioning properly, it can cause the counter to get stuck in a loop between two states.

4. Is it possible for incorrect wiring to cause a synchronous counter to toggle between two numbers?

Yes, incorrect wiring can cause a synchronous counter to toggle between two numbers. If the connections between the clock signal and the counter are not correct, it can lead to unexpected behavior, including toggling between two states. It is important to carefully follow the circuit design and double check all connections.

5. How can I prevent my synchronous counter from toggling between two numbers in the future?

To prevent your synchronous counter from toggling between two numbers, it is important to carefully design and test the circuit before implementation. Make sure all connections are correct and the clock signal is stable. It is also helpful to use simulation tools to test the circuit before building it. Regular maintenance and checking for any faulty components can also help prevent this issue in the future.