1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why should you not take a notebook computer through a metal detector?

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have always been told to remove anything metal before walking through a metal detector. Why is it bad to take a laptop through a metal dector? How can I give me answer in the language of physics?

I cannot just say that it will probably scramble my internal memory and data. I cannot just say because I am afraid of what will happen.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You remove anything metal because that's what they are trying to detect!
    If you are carrying a metal laptop the detector is going to go off -if you have a metal laptop under your arm, they don't know if you also have a gun!

A metal detector that you walk through doesn't have a field strong enough to do anything to a laptop.
    X-ray machines (or rather the coil that drives them) might disrupt the memory of something that is running but a reboot will cure that - they are unlikely to do any permanent damage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook