Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the need for Lagrange's Theorem?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    I've been working on a problem and I can't seem to figure out as to why the book wants you to use Lagrange's theorem. The question is "Prove that if k is an integer that is relatively prime to the order of a finite group, then the map x --> x^k is surjective." My idea was that since n and k are relatively prime, then ns + kt = 1 so that x = x^(ns+kt) which simplifies to x = x^(ks) so that x is the image of x^s and it is surjective. So where does Lagrange's theorem come into play?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you know that x^n=1?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    oh, hah, sorry. I meant to say that the order of G is n, so that makes sense now.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just checking: does the need for Lagrange make sense now?

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    well, not really. I'm unsure about it. Something about the order of the subgroup generated by x^k dividing the order of group, though I'm not sure why we need that.

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, let me rephrase me question then: how do you know that x^n=1 without using Lagrange's theorem?

8. Sep 21, 2008 #7
    well, I wasn't sure if it was something that was already proved (x^(order of G) = 1). Which is what I was thinking, but yes, I know that Lagrange's theorem is necessary for "x^n = 1", though would this be the only way that we would use Lagrange's theorem in this problem?

ah, so it makes perfect sense now why they say use lagrange's theorem. I was definitely taking this for granted since I had been doing lots of algebra before this and it was probably something I found they had covered, since I haven't felt the need to read through the book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?