Why there is no answer when negative value is being square root?

In summary, the square root of a negative number does not have a real number solution since the product of two positive or two negative numbers is always positive. However, a special number called i, defined as i^2 = -1, allows for the square root of a negative number in the form of a complex number. When using the √ symbol, it is convention to refer to the positive value and to refer to the negative value, the minus sign must be included.
wenxian
why there is no answer when negative value is being square root?
e.g: square root of -9
when i try to find answer from calculator, ''math error '' appears..
so is there an explanation for this question??
this question may looks so weird..but i m juz asking out of curiousity..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
to our intuition we see that there is no number that if we multiplied by itself will be negative , since if it is negative then squaring it will result in a positive number , and the same for positive numbers , precisely we see that from the properties of the order field of real numbers that if x > 0 and y > 0 , the xy > 0 , and if x<0 and y<0 the xy<0 and we can see why x^2 > 0 or = 0 for any real number x , and hence there is no real number such that its square is negative . This led to what is Called by complex numbers , where the square root of -9 is 3i , where i is called imaginary unit and defined informally by square root of -1 .

Well take a number [itex]a \geq 0[/itex] and square it, obviously two positive numbers multiplied gives a positive number. Take the second case of [itex]a < 0[/itex] and write it as [itex]-a[/itex] for [itex]a \geq 0[/itex] and square this [itex](-1)a \times (-1)a = (-1)(-1) \times a^2 \Rightarrow a^2 [/itex] which is again positive.
Now there is a special number called [itex]i[/itex] which is defined by [itex]i^2 = -1[/itex] so you can in fact find the square root of a negative number.

EDIT: sniped :)

The product of two positive numbers is positive and the product of two negative numbers is also positive. And, of course, the product of 0 with itself is 0. That is, for x positive, negative, or 0, [itex]x^2[/itex] is never negative.

wenxian said:
why there is no answer when negative value is being square root?
e.g: square root of -9
when i try to find answer from calculator, ''math error '' appears..
so is there an explanation for this question??
this question may looks so weird..but i m juz asking out of curiousity..

Your calculator is designed for real numbers only. If you had a calculator which works with complex numbers, you would get an answer.

so is it the same reason for the statement '' square root of x is always positive'' ??

wenxian said:
so is it the same reason for the statement '' square root of x is always positive'' ??

That's a convention in that [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is defined to be the positive solution y of the equation [itex]y^2 = x[/itex], where [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}^+[/itex].

So when you just use the √ symbol, people assume you're referring to the positive value. To refer to the negative value, you need to put the minus sign in front.

1. Why can't you take the square root of a negative value?

Taking the square root of a negative value results in an imaginary number, which is not a real number that can be represented on a number line.

2. Can you ever get an answer when taking the square root of a negative value?

No, because imaginary numbers do not have a physical meaning and cannot be represented in the real world.

3. Why do we use the square root function if it can't handle negative values?

The square root function is still useful for finding the positive square root of a positive value, which is used in many mathematical equations and applications.

4. Is there a way to work around the issue of taking the square root of a negative value?

Yes, you can use the absolute value function to get the positive value of a negative number before taking the square root.

5. Are there any real-life scenarios where taking the square root of a negative value would be useful?

No, because imaginary numbers do not have a physical representation. However, they are used in various mathematical applications, such as in electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.