Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why there is no answer when negative value is being square root?

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    why there is no answer when negative value is being square root?
    e.g: square root of -9
    when i try to find answer from calculator, ''math error '' appears..
    so is there an explanation for this question??
    this question may looks so weird..but i m juz asking out of curiousity..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

MIB

to our intuition we see that there is no number that if we multiplied by itself will be negative , since if it is negative then squaring it will result in a positive number , and the same for positive numbers , precisely we see that from the properties of the order field of real numbers that if x > 0 and y > 0 , the xy > 0 , and if x<0 and y<0 the xy<0 and we can see why x^2 > 0 or = 0 for any real number x , and hence there is no real number such that its square is negative . This led to what is Called by complex numbers , where the square root of -9 is 3i , where i is called imaginary unit and defined informally by square root of -1 .

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    Well take a number [itex]a \geq 0[/itex] and square it, obviously two positive numbers multiplied gives a positive number. Take the second case of [itex]a < 0[/itex] and write it as [itex]-a[/itex] for [itex]a \geq 0[/itex] and square this [itex](-1)a \times (-1)a = (-1)(-1) \times a^2 \Rightarrow a^2 [/itex] which is again positive.
    Now there is a special number called [itex]i[/itex] which is defined by [itex]i^2 = -1[/itex] so you can in fact find the square root of a negative number.

EDIT: sniped :)

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The product of two positive numbers is positive and the product of two negative numbers is also positive. And, of course, the product of 0 with itself is 0. That is, for x positive, negative, or 0, [itex]x^2[/itex] is never negative.

6. Jan 17, 2012 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your calculator is designed for real numbers only. If you had a calculator which works with complex numbers, you would get an answer.

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6
    so is it the same reason for the statement '' square root of x is always positive'' ??

8. Jan 18, 2012 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

That's a convention in that [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is defined to be the positive solution y of the equation [itex]y^2 = x[/itex], where [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}^+[/itex].

So when you just use the √ symbol, people assume you're referring to the positive value. To refer to the negative value, you need to put the minus sign in front.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook