Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why this property of the product of two matrices

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    Hello,

The product of a 2x5 matrix P and a 5x3 matrix B shall be a 2x3 zero matrix. P and B are all matrices of integers.

P = [6 2 -5 -6 1;3 6 1 -6 -5]

One possible B is [0 -4 0;3 0 0;-1 -1 3;2 -3 -2;1 1 3]

This solution B has a property: det(PPt) = det(BtB) = 7778

The question is: What does this property mean? How to get another B with this property?

Senmeis

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really don't know how you got B or why you refer to it as a "solution". Solution to what problem? Just having the property that det(PPt) = det(BtB)?

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    Pb=0

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Post-multiply B by any 3x3 matrix C, i.e., D=BC, and you'll have another 5x3 matrix D that satisfies PD=0. If C is unimodular (determinant = ±1), then det(D)=±det(B), so det(DTD)=det(BTB)=7778.

See if you can take this further to ensure that all elements of D are integers.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. Feb 26, 2014 #5
    Yes, you are right, but I still don’t know if this property is by chance. More important, I can’t even get another B that fulfills this property.

Senmeis

7. Feb 26, 2014 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it is not by chance. Matrix multiplication is associative: (PB)C = P(BC). If PB=0 then P(BC) must necessarily be zero as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook