1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why topology on a set is defined the way it is?

1. Jun 13, 2015 #1
    Following is from Wolfram Mathworld

"A topological space, also called an abstract topological space, is a set X together with a collection of open subsets T that satisfies the four conditions:

1. The empty set is in T.

2. X is in T.

3. The intersection of a finite number of sets in T is also in T.

4. The union of an arbitrary number of sets in T is also in T. " http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TopologicalSpace.html
    My question is why topology on a set is defined in this way? How these definition connect with our intuitive idea of different kind of topological space (i.e line, graphs, 3-sphere, torus etc).

I am obviously new in topology and will be glad if you explain in basic term. I'd be specially interested to know how one differentiate between a straight line segment and a "Y" shaped graph using these definitions.

I have convinced myself of one way, please let me know if it is correct. I can separate Y naturally in three segment let's name them a,b and c.

Let X={a,b,c}.

So the topology Y on X will be { {},{a,b,c},{a,b},{a,c},{b,c},{a},{b},{c}}.

We can break a line segment on three part. Let's do likewise for line segment l.

So the topology l on X will be { {},{a,b,c},{a,b},{b,c},{b}}. Topology Y and l are on X and obviously different. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

In mathematics things are defined the way they are because somebody found it a useful way of handling several (often unrelated) problem sets.

4. Jun 23, 2015 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The definition you gave pertains to the subject called "General Topology". General Topology does not provide enough definitions and assumptions to deal with questions about the differences between a 3-sphere and a torus. To deal with differences like that you need to study "Algebraic Topology".

General topology provides a way to treat mathematical questions involving the (vague) concept of "closeness" in a unified fashion. For example, in an elementary approach, [itex] lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = L [/itex] requires one definition for real valued functions of a real variable and a different definition when x and L are two dimensional vectors. Taking the definition of "limit of a function" given by General Topology, the same definition of limit of a function applies to both cases. The only change that is made is that "open set" means one thing on the real line and a different thing in 2-dimensions.

5. Jun 25, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The whole point of topology is to generalize our concepts of "limits" and "continuity". A "topology" on a set is the collection of all open subsets of that set. And those properties are the properties of open intervals on the real line that are used in defining limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook