Why Was the What Are Things Made Of? Thread Deleted?

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
In summary: Oh, sorry, I thought you were the one who pulled the posts. Only mentors can do that. If that's the case, I'd like to speak to the person who did that.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I was posting on a thread in the General Physics forum titled "what are things made of?"

The author had a very limited knowledge of chemistry, physics etc and so people were posting to explain what atoms/molecules/elements/compounds were. For some reason the thread seems to have been deleted (it's gone from my subscribed threads and there's no sign it's been moved).

I was wondering what the reason for the deletion could be?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Been deleted by the look of it.

Checked the email link and says invalid.

I suppose it was the fact the guy willingly wanted to ignore all science he's been taught and start back with the whole "earth, wind, water and fire" thing.

I think it's a bit over the top to delete it though.

JaredJames said:
Been deleted by the look of it.

Checked the email link and says invalid.

I suppose it was the fact the guy willingly wanted to ignore all science he's been taught and start back with the whole "earth, wind, water and fire" thing.

I think it's a bit over the top to delete it though.

Had he though? It was my impression that he was suffering from an unfortunate case of extreme ignorance. Perhaps I missed some posts in the time that I posted and it was deleted.

I agree, perhaps a bit OTT to delete the thread.

His opening line was something like "I've decided to throw out everything I've learned in school", followed by "I've started again and so far am on 'everything is made of earth, wind, water and fire'".

Now he's either gone off the rails a bit or he's started, quite literally, from the beginning - we're talking medieval times when they believed all that stuff.

I am questioning everything, and I am even challenging the Standard Model.

This is not ignorance, this is trolling.

Especially when you pretend to know nothing.

Borek said:
This is not ignorance, this is trolling.

Especially when you pretend to know nothing.

Fair enough, I was under the impression he was questioning everything in the sense of he wanted to ask questions about everything. But that maybe my trusting naivey

Oh yeah. I was writing down a reply and submitting told me that the thread doesn't exist.

I don't think the guy was really stubborn. And it seemed he actually wanted to know something. Probably he did not exactly know what the standard model talks about and hence made the unfortunate statement.

Also using language such as "my quest for truth has led me..." probably indicates an education in religion, and hence ignorance about modern science.

Do you disapprove?

Does the site management have a policy of preventing discussion of criticality scenarios in nuclear reactor spent fuel ponds?

Nope, just a no BS / conspiracy / crackpot policy.

JaredJames said:

Why are you mentioning "<< deleted >>", I assume that is what you mean by BS.
Do you think I am joking?

Why do you mention "Conspiracy"?
Do you believe that I have alluded to a conspiracy to make the SFP go critical?

And why do you say "crackpot policy"?
That doesn't even make sense.

BTW
Am I to assume that you are the one who pulled my posts, or that you are speaking for the person who pulled my posts?

Last edited by a moderator:
unlurk said:
Am I to assume that you are the one who pulled my posts, or that you are speaking for the person who pulled my posts?

Only mentors can pull post, and JnJ is (sadly) not a mentor. If I were you I would send a PM to the mentor that pulled your post (he most likely sent you a PM), and take it up with him/her...

micromass said:
Only mentors can pull post, and JnJ is (sadly) not a mentor. If I were you I would send a PM to the mentor that pulled your post (he most likely sent you a PM), and take it up with him/her...

Nope no messages from him.BTW
What's a PM?

You mean an E-mail?

Last edited:
unlurk said:
What's a PM?

You mean an E-mail?
No, a PM is a private message. Go to My PF at the upper-right corner, then go to List Messages.

unlurk said:
Why are you mentioning "<< deleted >>", I assume that is what you mean by BS.
Do you think I am joking?

Why do you mention "Conspiracy"?
Do you believe that I have alluded to a conspiracy to make the SFP go critical?

And why do you say "crackpot policy"?
That doesn't even make sense.

BTW

I simply mentioned the general reasons posts are pulled. No need to fly off the rails. Read the rules and I'm sure you'll realize why it was pulled.

No, I'm not a mentor and so cannot do such a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
JaredJames said:

JaredJames said:
I simply mentioned the general reasons posts are pulled.

I'll just add that there are quite a number of reasons posts can get deleted, in addition to those Jared mentioned. Click the "Rules" link at the top of any PF page to see them.

Related to Why Was the What Are Things Made Of? Thread Deleted?

1. What does it mean when a non-crazy thread disappears?

When a non-crazy thread disappears, it means that the thread has been removed or deleted from the forum or platform it was posted on. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as violating community guidelines, being flagged by other users, or being removed by the moderators.

2. Can a non-crazy thread disappear without any reason?

No, a non-crazy thread cannot disappear without any reason. There is always a reason behind the disappearance, whether it is due to a violation of guidelines or a decision made by the moderators. If you are unsure why a thread has disappeared, you can reach out to the moderators for more information.

3. Is there a way to retrieve a disappeared non-crazy thread?

In most cases, no. Once a thread has been removed or deleted, it is difficult to retrieve it. However, if you believe that the thread was removed by mistake or for invalid reasons, you can reach out to the moderators to appeal the decision.

4. Why do non-crazy threads disappear more often than other threads?

This may vary depending on the specific forum or platform, but non-crazy threads may disappear more often because they are more likely to violate community guidelines. These threads may contain inappropriate or offensive content, which can lead to their removal.

5. How can I prevent my non-crazy thread from disappearing?

The best way to prevent your non-crazy thread from disappearing is to make sure it follows the community guidelines of the forum or platform it is posted on. Avoid posting anything that may be considered offensive or inappropriate, and always be respectful towards other users. If you have any doubts about the content of your thread, you can always reach out to the moderators for clarification.