Why won't my LaTeX images show up in the PDF?

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Latex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Nusc
Messages
752
Reaction score
2
Hi experts, I am having the following problems with LaTeX.

Where can I quickly install these packages:

\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{epstopdf}
\usepackage{epsf}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}


I enable them but my images won't appear in the pdf.

What's wrong? My image files are in .eps
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Also I want to have insert this text in latex

[2] http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Russell_Scott.html



But the ~ won't show and the ll_S will create a subscript s which I don't want

how do I fix it? It says missing $ inserted
 
Those should all be in any modern (i.e. post 1996) distro. If you've really not got them, then you can always use ctan.org where all tex packages are kept.

The hack is to use \sim in mathmode for the tilde, though you should just put the whole thing in a verbatim environment. There are also \textunderscore commands too. And I forget the proper command for ~ in text mode. Try googling for how to insert html links into latex.
 
Last edited:
Also, for pdflatex, images must be in pdf or png, no eps.