Why won't my riding mower start after engaging the blades?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dezstir
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
dezstir
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
While riding my Husqvarna lawn mower (two years old) I decided to shut down. While shutting down I accidently engaged the blades (PTO switch) and then quickly disengaged all while the engine was ramping down speed. I understand that there is a safetyswitch to prevent starting if the blades are engaged, just as there is one under the seat. I do hear a clicking noise from the solenoid. The manual says that either the starter motor or the solenoid should be replaced? Does anyone know how I can determine one from the other in order not to buy both?? Idid charge the battery and can officially rule that out. can you help thank you...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suspect the safety switch stuck based on your post
a simple VOM will check that go on line and find a wireing diagram to see if the safety should be open or closed
also check you ground connections as a bad ground is a very common problem

next see if you can short or jump the solenoid to check the starter
 
Yeah, use a screwdriver to short across the solenoid. Also try cycling the limit switch if you haven't already. Another thing to check is the gear on the starter that engages the flywheel. If it's stuck in the engaged position it will not allow the starter to spin up.

I doubt your starter is bad. It would be quite a coincidence if it is.